Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Running thread! Let's see some Ancient (and Medieval) eye candy!

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar of the Community
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really spectacular coins! I go for portraits, too, but I only go back to medieval times in my collection, and decent portraits before the 15th century are tough to come by.
My other theme is images of Christian saints, so I will move us "away" from Rome, by 250 miles and a millenium with this scudo of Hercules II (1534-1559), Duchy of Ferrara. The reverse shows a bereaved Mary Magdalene at the foot of Jesus' cross.

Edited by tdziemia
07/10/2018 10:26 pm
Learn More...
United States
21700 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  02:21 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
253 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  04:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add arnoldoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was going to be a thread about people running either way, here is one my coins with someone running

M. Herennius, 108-107 BC

And a few others..

Antoninus Pius

Alexander Balas
Pillar of the Community
United States
2913 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  06:20 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To call this one "candy" might be a bit of a stretch
I prefer to think it more of an 'after dinner mint'
I recently was messaged by an old alumn of this forum regarding some issues concerning conservation (VK)
By coincidence I happened upon a few coins within his area of concentration. Taking it as an omen I scooped 2 post Roman bronzes
Well when the price is right don't think twice !

Gepids
Under Ostrogoth King Theodoric the Great
Nummus
Issued in the name of Byzantine Emperor Anastasius I
Sirmium AD 520-30

Obv. Retrograde legend
of Anastasius
DN ΛNΛSTΛSIVS P ΛV
Diademed and cuirassed bust right

Rv. POMΛNI (star) VINVICTΛ
Backwards/Mirror image monogram of Theodoric the Great

1.42 grams 10-12mm
Sirmium Mint

Not really much to look at
But as far as these types go it's actually around an XF !
The Gepids were the Ostrogoths poor relations
And as can be inferred by the legends and monogram ........ not the sharpest tools in the Germanic shed
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
07/11/2018 06:30 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
876 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!
Some great coins in this thread!

Here's one of mine...
The most sentimental aswell as this was my very first ancient I bought and posted on this forum..
Little did I know...Paul

Pillar of the Community
United States
2913 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that I like
Cuirassed bust with great style
and the best part from Arles with a 'blundered' legend too !
Now that makes it special
I would have snapped up that one if I had seen it
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1000-38 Hungarian Denar.

Two varieties of 1063-74.

1531 Eagle wings Hungarian Denar. Eagle wins are under the Madonna.

Edited by EddieDiz
07/11/2018 2:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1013 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few that might qualify as eye candy.

Here is the first one a very rare Ephesian denarius of Vespasian.

A few coins of Galba including 2 that are so ugly they are beautiful.

A lovely portrait of Marcus Aurelius

Another Vespasian, this time with the Nemesis reverse. This one was perviously owned by E.E. Clain-Stefanelli.

This nice little penny of Cnut.

A great "grumpy portrait" of Edward IV

And last but not least...this nice piece of silver minted for Eleanor of Aquitaine

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Learn More...
United States
21700 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing some really excellent coins here, great thread.
Pillar of the Community
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see more medievals, too!

Quote:
Two varieties of 1063-74

@eddiediz, I find it remarkable how well struck some of these early Hungarian denars are.

A motif I like in medievals is the armed and armored knight on horseback. Here is one from the Duchy of Lorraine, Ferry IV (1312-1328) double denier

Edited by tdziemia
07/11/2018 5:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5176 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haven't seen any non-classical coins yet!

Kabul Shahis, Spalapati Deva AR Jital, c. 750 AD

Gupta Empire, Kumaragupta 415 - 455 AR Drachm

Nezak Huns, Napki Malka BI Drachm, c. 600-700 AD

Hunnic kindgom in Sindh, Yashaaditya, c. 500 AD

Turco-Hephthalites, Vajara Vakhudeva, c. 700 AD AR drachm, plugged with gold

Khwarezm, Sawashfan AR drachm, c. 750

New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
United States
3749 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great group, Steve (and everyone else too).

Quote:
Haven't seen any non-classical coins yet!

Well, technically, the Parthians qualify, although most of the ones I posted were from the period when Greek cultural/artistic influence was strong. Here's a later one, after Greek influence lessened.

Phraataces and Musa
drachm, 2 BC - 4 AD
Sellwood 58.9
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2035 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here we have a denar of Bela I of Hungary (1131-41). This is small: 11 millimeters and .38 grams.

Why it is in such good shape I do not know. I got it from Robert Kokotailo of Calgary a number of year ago at a very modest price.

Learn More...
United States
21700 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Indo-Scythian Vijayamitra

Cilician Armenia Levon I

Sasanian Khurso II
Pillar of the Community
United States
3749 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. I hope this thread attracts the attention of curious lurkers who have been debating whether or not to collect ancients and/or medievals. If the coins posted here don't convince them to take the plunge, then nothing will.
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05