Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 VDB Lincoln grading question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  9:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rb67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this up yesterday. Not sure what grade it is as I'm fairly new. Would love some help with that. I know it's nice and it caught my eye. I also would like to get a recommendation on what to do with it. I've read enough to be confused about cleaning it. I usually will use Renaissance wax on some Blued guns I've pick up in the pass. It preventance rust very well. I'm tempted to do the same with this. Would that be ill advised? Finally, I have a nice light box for taking pictures of larger items and am struggling with these coins. Are these pictures descent?

Thank you in advance. Feedback is welcome. I know I piled a couple of subjects together.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3941 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:04 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When it comes to cleaning coins, the general consensus is usually don't. You dont need to worry about corrosion as long as you keep it protected in a holder.

As for your coin's grade, it looks like a slider between AU/MS, I'm leaning towards AU-58 but others may have different opinions.

Those are some incredibly strong and square rims though, can you check for a small die chip right after the M in "UNUM"?
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That seems to be about an AU55RB, slight rub on cheek and lower bust. I wouldn't use any gun stuff on copper coins, too much chemicals may cause discoloration, and give us a Details, cleaned grade which lowers value. If anything, use a product called Verdi-Care, that will help prepare and keep surfaces more natural.

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rb67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This picture is a little better. Having trouble getting them below 300.

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rb67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adam_E, I don't see one. Is that a fairly common error?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3941 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just making sure it's not a matte proof, it was unlikely, but worth a check

If it had one, you'd have had a very special coin on your hands!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3129 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first item that caught my eyes....same as Adam E....the squareness of the inside of the rims.

Could we see a picture of the rim from the edge perspective?
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  01:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rb67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adam_E, I have done some research since you have informed me about the Matte Proof Set and I wish I could take better pictures. The die chip to the right of the "M" is the hardest for me to pick up. Some time I can glimpse it at a certain angle with just the right light, but getting a picture of it is even harder. The two lines are present in front on Lincoln's nose however they are abbreviated in comparison to ones I seen in my research. The abbreviated lines are in the outer range apposed to being longer and closer to the nose. There is one that I can catch in picture if I hold my breath just right. It does also go through Lincoln's nose. This list below also appears to match my 1909 VDB.

* indicating hard to see with my loop.

OBV-3: Right side of the "N" of "IN GOD" is even or slightly thick, as opposed to thin which can be found on many business strikes.*
OBV-4: "WE" is always the even type and NEVER is found having the high "W" of "WE".
OBV-5: "R" of "TRUST" has a very large upper loop.
REV-2: upper space of "E" of "E.PLUR" is filled.(Partially on mine)
REV-3: upper inside left corner of the letter "N" is filled of "UNITED".*(Partially on mine)
REV-4: V.D.B.........(a) left side of "V" curves slightly outward. (b) definite slant to the middle of "B". (c) first dot is high, second and third dots are even and lower than the first dot.

So if this is a Matte Coin. What will I need to do next?

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rb67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rim Picture will have to be tomorrow.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rb67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was able to use my loop to capture the Die Polish Lines.

ETA: Is it normal to only be able to catch the Die Polish Lines at certain angles? There are tough to find and photo.

The Polish Line in the "C" in Cent.

My poor attempt at capturing the outer edge.

Edited by Rb67
07/11/2018 09:46 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30452 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy it sure has the rims for a proof!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3941 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it has polishing lines, remember that they would be raised, try putting very shallow light on it, the lines should cast a bigger shadow and be easier to see.

It could just be a very well struck business strike, but the rims are exceptionally strong.

IMO its still incredibly unlikely just due to how few were minted, try not to convince yourself something is there when it might not be, pariodoilia might be a factor here
Edited by Adam_E
07/11/2018 1:45 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15353 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63

Do not wax nor attempt to clean this coin IMO.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rb67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adam_E, that's the only way I'm finding the polish lines. I use a low powered LED at different angles until they come to life. Then I snap the pictures.

Thank you and everyone else for the help. I will not be waxing it. Thanks for the great information.

Will I be wasting my time if I start another thread in the differrant Forum?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7489 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could start a topic in the Modern Coins forum about this coin and whether it's a matte proof.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting! Agree with SilverDollar above
PCGS submissions 2005-2018. Mailings(21) Orders(43) / 249 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(19%) Economy(62%) Regular(13%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (46%) Classic Commemorative (38%) Hawaii(3%) SCD (6%) Other(3%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 [eyeroll] Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2)/// Other TPGs: ICG (2011-2018): 35/35 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05