Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1963-P LMC Possible DDO? Did I finally find one on my own?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2230 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  3:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this in change yesterday and took a look at it last night. My eyes were then tired but I thought I spotted something on the obverse. When I took a look today I saw the same thing. After shooting some photo's I am even more convinced this may be a Doubled Die. I have never found one on my own so I would like more opinions as to whether this is one or not.

I have looked at listings and it looks similar to 1963P-1DO-013 on Coppercoins.com
http://www.coppercoins.com/diesearc...pe=do&page=1

For this DDO we are looking at the crossbars of both Ts in Trust.

Okay here we go. Lots of photos sorry.

And last but not least close ups of the date and Liberty just in case I missed something.

No matter how I turn the coin I can"t see an extra eye lid or a bar under the L in Liberty. This is what is making me think this could be 1DO-013. I however do not see the die scratches that are listed for this one.

So what do you think is this even a DDO?

All opinions welcome,

Thanks in advance...Mont
Learning one coin at a time.
ANA Member #3185431
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12837 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're correct on this. Very nice find and congratulations on finding your first Doubled Die!
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
United States
2230 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think you're correct on this. Very nice find and congratulations on finding your first Doubled Die!

Thanks you!

I do have a question though. This one does not have the die scratches that are pictured on copper coins. It does have die scratches but not in the same places.

I have looked on several different sites to see if I can find anything that matched better, but I can't seem to find one.

Does it need to have the die scratches to be 1DO-013? Or could this be an unlisted one?
ANA Member #3185431
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12837 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that it could be a new listing possibly. If it is, than send it to John A. Wexler for attribution.
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
United States
791 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me. If I were you I would send it to Mr. Wexler either way. For a couple dollars you get a guaranteed attribute for it and if it is a new one then you own the plate coin for a new DDO and get your name associated with the find. Certainly worth a few dollars on a coin this nice with a good but obscure DDO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2230 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks good to me. If I were you I would send it to Mr. Wexler either way. For a couple dollars you get a guaranteed attribute for it and if it is a new one then you own the plate coin for a new DDO and get your name associated with the find. Certainly worth a few dollars on a coin this nice with a good but obscure DDO.

Thanks. I am familiar with Mr Wexlers site and actually already have a new 1974D Eisenhower dollar DDO with my name associated with finding it.WDDO-002 to be exact.

I might send this one into him as well. Not right away though. Hopefully I can find another DDO to send in with it. Kinda feel silly sending him just a single LMC to attribute.
ANA Member #3185431
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32174 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send pictures first to see what he thinks.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2230 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I shot some close-ups of the most significant die scratches on this coin. They are all on the obverse. The reverse looks pretty unremarkable.

Just below the 9. These are visible in my OP as well.

Look just to the left of Lincolns' shoulder. The lines you see are raised die scratches.

That's about it. Well there are others on the obverse actually, but they are so light and minor they aren't worth trying to get shots of.
ANA Member #3185431
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12837 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm excited to see what John Wexler thinks about this Doubled Die. I hope it's a new listing as well. :)
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
United States
2230 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Send pictures first to see what he thinks.

I think I will do that.
ANA Member #3185431
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05