Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can anyone tell me if this is an unknown variety?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add grusummer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this coin from a German Auction house a couple years back as a 25c genuine gold piece though I cannot find this variety whether between both counterfeit, fake or real. The coin itself is pure gold and the obverse is identical to that of a 799, I had it sent to NGC and they returned it as an "unknown variety" not counterfeit & wouldn't grade it. Any help would be appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7011 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
May very well be a token and could be gold - no denomination on the reverse. 1/4 what? It does look much better than most tokens or counterfeits I've seen.
Completed the Dansco 8166 Album
(1964-2011) Kennedy half w/Proofs on Dec 3rd.

Now working on the Dansco 8167 Album
(2012-Date) Kennedy half w/Proofs.
27pcs, of 28, so far

Edited by Mark1959
07/11/2018 5:59 pm
Formerly nancyc
Australia
4880 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shares some similarities with this token, but not the same as it.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces39314.html
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4368 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This article may be helpful https://www.NGCcoin.com/news/articl...tional-Gold/

An expert on California gold coins and tokens http://www.calgoldcoin.com/

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1918 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a jeweler's piece..
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14686 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would not be considered to be a genuine Cal Fractional gold. Every genuine piece has a denomination on them cents, D, Dol, Dolls etc
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
63556 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6133 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05