Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My first U.S. rolling hunting experience

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I will look through rolls here in Canada from time-to-time, but have never tried in the U.S. I was briefly in Washington and stopped in at a bank. I am trying to complete a U.S. one cent collection going back to mid-30's to present and get all the State and America the Beautiful Quarters and get all the president dollars.

In 10 rolls of one cents, I managed to get one Wheat cent. I didn't realize how uncommon these are to come by now in circulation. There must be massive hoards out there. I did pick up a number of cents I needed.

In four rolls of dollars, I found 18 different presidents. Didn't find any presidents in the past 100 years. I suppose these are all lower mintage so harder to come by.

In five rolls of quarters, I picked up a good assortment I needed. None of the territories - again lower mintages. I also found a bicentennial and this one, which I thought was cool:

Pillar of the Community
United States
3302 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that the true color on the coin and not the light effect? can you post a pic from obverse?it looks like it maybe a greaser with the devices to the north missing, can't really tell if they are missing or it is because of the reflection, need a better pic.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12032 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's definitely a Greaser, no questions asked. The devices are partially missing from the blockage of grease in the die's crevices. http://www.error-ref.com/struck-thr...-grease-oil/
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
594 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When you get enough post. Send me a email of what you are looking for. And maybe we can work out a trade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5114 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  01:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should be fun.

State quarters I suspect should be very easy, especially if you ignore mints. Territories will be almost impossible, and the first two or three years of ATB saw very low mintages as well.

Memorial cents are easy enough to finish (S mints are tricky, the rest can probably be done in a box or two), but I wouldn't count on wheat cents; I had nearly a thousand before I found my first 1954, and I'm not sure why it took so long. Not to mention that steel cents are almost impossible because every coin counter in the US rejects them. 2009 cents will also be almost impossible; especially the Presidency reverse.

I personally lost steam on the president dollars; they switched to NIFC for half the good ones. I forget exactly when (2011? I think Grant was one of the last) but finishing the rest from rolls would take hundreds if not thousands of rolls.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wheat cents are not easy to find anymore.
Learn More...
United States
60393 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doing wheat cents from rolls is going to be tough. They are not out there like they used to be. Now you know why I get excited when someone finds a common Wheat cent in a roll.

The quarters should be an easier task for you.

Good luck!
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The picture is a greaser, my first one! Apologies for the quality.

I am trying to get the mint varieties for the one cents but not the quarters or dollars. Fortunately I have a good chunk of the wheat cents already from a couple of older collectors who passed them on. I'll probably have to get most of the remaining ones from other sources. I am in the U.S. at least two more times this year, so hopefully I can get more rolls to look through.

Why is it that 2009 cents will be almost impossible? I found a couple, but was surprised that I didn't see a lot more given that the total mintage is over 2 billion.

chipjones, I will keep your offer in mind, thanks.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6398 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best of wishes with your USA coin quest from Canada.

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3457 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not to hijack, but my 17 yo son has found 18 wheat cents at work in the till since Sept. of last year.
Hes also found 5 silver dimes and 2 buffalos. Funny thing is, hes not a coin collector.

Average for me when I quit hunting a few years ago was about 12 wheats per box.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...reluctantly

Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since 72
Pillar of the Community
United States
1964 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Check John77's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Why is it that 2009 cents will be almost impossible? I found a couple, but was surprised that I didn't see a lot more given that the total mintage is over 2 billion.

Because many of the Philadelphia minted coins in 2009 for all of the smaller denominations, except the Half Dollar, were shipped in quantity to Puerto Rico. Due to the 2008-2009 recession, people were turning in their change to banks, and they didn't need to order coins from the Federal Reserve in their normal amounts as a result. I haven't really done a spreadsheet on the 2009 Philadelphia cents yet, but I might find one about every 5,000 coins here in Southern California. I don't know how much more prevalent they are in the rest of the country. The 2009-P Nickel and 2009-P dime are both very hard to find coins no matter where you live. As for Quarters, the 2009-P North Mariana Islands coin seems to be the one which presents the biggest challenge to people from what I've seen so far.
CRH Nickeloholic. On the way to 1,000,000 nickels searched in two years! Already have found TWO complete Jefferson sets over that time!
Valued Member
Canada
93 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was back in the U.S. this past weekend. This time Boston. I picked up another 10 rolls of quarters and 10 rolls of pennies. I managed to check off a number of the state and ATB Quarters I was looking for. Just left with American Samoa, Guam, Missouri and U.S. Virgin Islands. I'm surprised I didn't find a Missouri, but not about the others. I was happy to find Puerto Rico and Northern Mariana Islands.

From the pennies I was only able to knock off three on my list. I did find 3 wheat cents, which I already had. Including the one I found in the previous 10 rolls, that works out to 4 in 1000 or 0.4%. I have not come across any 2018 pennies yet.

The bank I went to didn't have any rolls of dollar coins. I ended up going to a shop and buying a bunch of the more recent presidents who didn't circulate. Only missing W.H. Harrison and Lincoln from circulation, and the first five that didn't circulate.
Learn More...
United States
60393 Posts
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2018  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 cents. In relative terms I see a consistently decent supply of them. Yes, the mintage numbers are lower than other 'modern' LMC and shield cents, but I come across an average of 15 per box. Wheat cents are a different matter. I'm fortunate to get 2 or 3 per box.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05