Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Kennedy Half Dollar for Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't really collect Kennedy half dollars, but I inherited a bunch (1964-1970) from my father. I realize they're only worth their value in silver (more for the '64 than the later years), but I'm just curious what a coin like this would grade. Thanks.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
408 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has what looks like a huge thumb print imbedded into the silver from his ear to the edge (why we wear cotton gloves) and the surface looks funny like it was dipped. Sorry, I can't even guess.
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2098 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I realize they're only worth their value in silver

For the most part. Don't forget to check for the better ones. For example 1970 D is worth more than melt. There are also sone varieties to look for Doubled dies, missing FG...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7836 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna say AU Details Cleaned (wiped).

"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has what looks like a huge thumb print imbedded into the silver from his ear to the edge (why we wear cotton gloves) and the surface looks funny like it was dipped. Sorry, I can't even guess.

I always use gloves when handling coins. The print has obviously been there for years. I can tell by looking through my father's collection that he probably didn't realize what he was buying most of the time and didn't handle the coins properly either. A lot of the coins were stored improperly, some look to have been cleaned, others have prints on them, etc.

Quote:
For the most part. Don't forget to check for the better ones. For example 1970 D is worth more than melt. There are also sone varieties to look for Doubled dies, missing FG...

Thanks BigSilver. As I said, I'm not as knowledgeable about Kennedy halves since I don't collect them. I appreciate the insight.

Quote:
I'm gonna say AU Details Cleaned (wiped).

I wouldn't doubt it being cleaned, Spruett.
Edited by 40Proof
07/13/2018 08:28 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28246 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, AU details.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
408 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I always use gloves when handling coins. The print has obviously been there for years. I can tell by looking through my father's collection that he probably didn't realize what he was buying most of the time and didn't handle the coins properly either. A lot of the coins were stored improperly, some look to have been cleaned, others have prints on them, etc.

Don't feel bad, after my dad passed we were cleaning out his clothes and found about 30 Kennedys and 10 Ikes Duct Taped to the bottom of his dresser drawer. I don't know if he was worried about a burglary or what... Had to soak them in acetone for 3 days to get all the glue off, and underneath they were below average coins...
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, mtuma3.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5591 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 Details, cleaned
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
688 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add two_tonevf35 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU. Our 19 y/o has been CRH 50c all summer, so when he finds any '64, esp looking like that, we do high fives! :)
PCGS submissions 2005-2018. Mailings(21) Orders(43) / 249 coin attempts. 12 Fails(5%) / Member vouchers(19%) Economy(62%) Regular(13%) Free(3%) Express(3%) / Barber 50c (46%) Classic Commemorative (38%) Hawaii(3%) SCD (6%) Other(3%)/ Fails: Cleaned(2) Alt surfaces(1) Scratch(1) Damage(1) "86"(3) 2 Columbian & 1 BTW; Min Grade(2) DNC(2)-Same coin NGC XF40 Barber 50c. Express fees paid by seller (cross guarantee). Kept the coin & later submitted raw: PCGS XF40 [eyeroll] Fails: Econ(8) Regular(2) Express(2)/// Other TPGs: ICG (2011-2018): 35/35 NGC: 0 ANACS: 0
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7836 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  12:38 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely high five worthy, two_tone!
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
United States
291 Posts
 Posted 07/15/2018  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 40Proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05