Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Id VAM and grade

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  04:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add WorldWide to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey I just wanted to see what everyone thinks of this morgan and see which VAM this is and what grade would you give it. Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
3356 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can't help you with those pics. sorry.for both grading and detecting a VAM a sharp and crisp pictures are needed.

BTW, to Community.
Edited by Chase007
07/17/2018 08:56 am
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AND
Pillar of the Community
United States
8559 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you're using your cell phone for pictures you may be a little too close based on the images appearing better focused at the top. As already mentioned better (sharper) images are needed to accurately grade and attribute.

and yes, to CCF!
Member SSDC
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2018  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WorldWide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I added about 20 pictures idk where they went let me try again.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WorldWide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WorldWide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Wayyy too many photos haha
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WorldWide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so I used a high powered photographer phone, pretty sweet I could see better than with my magnifying glass lol these are awesome pics, so what do you guys think about that, 66 at least right. Maybe 7 or 8 idk
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and Welcome,

A couple of thoughts....

I am not going to offer a grade on this coin as I am terrible at grading and you seem pretty proud of this one so I do not want to offer an opinion that may not be accurate....

For this date and mint there really is only one VAM series that holds any kind of a premium and that is VAM 2.. (2,2A, and 2B) your coin is not one of these... the differences between the other VAMs are very subtle and probably would require microscope photography to positively confirm the exact VAM...

All that said the good thing is there are not a huge number of choices for this date, so by looking at the date position on your coin (and ruling out the VAM 2 discussed above) your left with normal position VAMs 1,4,5,7,8,9 and possibly slanted date VAM 13.

I would suggest going to the link below... Get out your magnifier, and see if you can nail down exactly which one it is.

http://www.vamworld.com/1891-P%20Obverses

I hope this helps and sorry I could not exactly identify what VAM your coin is from the pics.(maybe someone else can?) .. like I said the variances for this date are VERY subtle.

Good luck!! Let us know what you find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3356 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU
VAM
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WorldWide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome answer that helped a lot, so ok let's say I looked really really hard and I think it is a slanted date, would it be worth sending to PCGS and what kind of value does it hold. I know it's not really a one of a kind but it's definitely my nicest one.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS does not recognize or label every VAM... the only grading company that does that is ANACS... again no real premium for the slanted date or most of the other VAMs of this date/mint.... if it is "worth it" is a personal decision...
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My suggestion would be not bother with grading ... the cost of grading is really not justified by the value (in my opinion)... however there is another lower cost option that attributes the VAM and puts it into a nice "slab"... check out varslab.com.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05