Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878 S Quad liberty?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  9:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tryin2learn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been studying the attribution guides at VAM World and elsewhere for this 1878 S and it seems to me that, if this is a Quadrupled or tripled LIBERTY, then it must be in the VAM range of 29 to 31. I think it is a quad and likely a VAM 30. Does this look like a quad or triple Liberty to you.

Am I on the right track? If not, its back to the books. thanks in advance for your help.

Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dollardude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are very few "one and done" attributions.... I would suggest comparing other comparison points before setteling on something... date position, mint mark position are two common points.... if you think you have it narrowed down make sure everything else lines up...
Pillar of the Community
United States
8573 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe, but let's see a full image of the obverse and reverse to check for the other pups.
Member SSDC
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2018  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tryin2learn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand it is not likely a one and done. but that was my starting point and I wasn't sure what a quad or triple looked like and that is what I was trying to verify. here are more pics including: R in Trust unbroken; 4th star right broken, tripled or quad LIBERTY, doubled D in Dollar, chip at rear of top arrow point, engraved (or not) wing feather,eye lids, nostrils. have more pics if you want any. but original question my remains. any other observations appreciated thanks again.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8573 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2018  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a VAM-30. Does it look like a quad LIBERTY? Maybe the B does.

Quote:
Am I on the right track?

Yes you are on the right track as long as this was your starting point.

Quote:
R in Trust unbroken; 4th star right broken

VAMming is all about specific die markers including date and mint mark position and most issues have a logical progression to follow in order to narrow down the possibilities. 1878-S begins with the arrow nock, short or long to determine B1 or B2 reverse. The next step would be the R in Trust and 4th right star. Most VAM pages will have a "sort by" option above the official listings to help narrow down the possibilities. Some issues can be quite over-whelming without sorting.

to the madness!

Member SSDC
Edited by dave700x
07/19/2018 06:57 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05