Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 Seoul Olympics 3 Medal Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2018  9:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My sister in law saved from the trash a 3 medal set from 1988 Seoul Olympics with gold, silver and bronze medals. I have a few questions so I hope someone is familiar with this. It says the gold medal is 31.104 grams of 99.9 gold. How many ounces would this be? Also, the silver medal is 70 grams of 99.9 silver. How many ounces?

It's there numismatic value above melt for this set? I found a set on eBay for 1900 but not sure if this is super inflated. The silver medal is in pretty bad shape but the other two look great.

Pillar of the Community
Korea, Republic Of
1881 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2018  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matteproof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an awesome save because the gold medal is one ounce and the silver, 2.25 ounces. I'd say bullion value + a for the gold and silver medals; One set recently sold for $1400 in a Korean forum.
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2018  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your time and response!

When you say "a Korean forum", you mean a different website?
Pillar of the Community
Korea, Republic Of
1881 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matteproof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a Korean internet numismatics forum. There are two main search engines that support online forum service called "cafés" and there are a couple of major numismatics cafés with 10,000~40,000 members. But you wouldn't expect too much there; most of them mainly collect Korean coins and paper money and more people sell and buy instead of posting high-quality numismatic content. But there are some highly knowledgeable long-term members so don't get me wrong on that; long-term Korean numismatists seem to prefer meeting in person to discuss coins with close numismatist friends. I'm on this forum as I do not collect Korean coinage too much, mostly American and World coins.
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2018  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mlov to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome!

Very cool to know that you saved this one from oblivion!

I like the designs. These were most likely designed by Oh Dong-hwan, Oh Soon-hwan and Pak Chang-sik. These men worked on the currency design team at the South Korean Mint designing and engraving these medals, and the Olympic medals awarded at the Seoul Olympics that year, in addition to the Commemorative coins issued in the four years before the Olympics took place. They were busy people around that time. Take a look at my webpage to learn more about these gentlemen (toward the bottom of the page): http://dokdo-research.com/koreancoins.html

Do you still have this set? If so, would you mind uploading some images here of the obverse and reverse sides of these medals on a table or something stationary? I'd like to see the detail in the main devices a little more clearly.

Thanks for sharing these!

Valued Member
Korea, Republic Of
327 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2018  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lembafc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holy smokes what a save!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05