Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

From a collectible standpoint, which Julius Caser is better buy?  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  5:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Smoore123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looking to get one of these coins? I want to get the one that would be a better investment. The one that doesn’t show the whole elephant is 50 dollars less then the other yet is better quality in my opinion.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7823 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the other yet is better quality in my opinion

I agree and would pretty much always purchase a coin with a full planchet over the same type with a broken planchet. I know that I'll like it better over the long haul.

My only caution would be to make sure that neither of these coins is a fake as this style seems to be a target for that activity. We have a couple sticky threads here on CCF that identify known sellers of fake coins.

Also, welcome to CCF.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3608 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The upper coin is being sold at VCoins. The dealer's pic reveals it has what appears to be cleaning scratches and, maybe, some horn silver:

The broken coin may have crystallization. In any event the chip reduces its value, obviously.

Tough call if investment is the goal. Given the flaws, I would personally exercise patience and vigilance and simply keep my eyes open. Curious to see what the Roman collectors will say...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2871 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oddly enough I would pick the broken one
But that’s because I am almost always highly suspicious of this type
Probably the number one most faked coin in history

The best investment ?
In this condition neither should be viewed as an investment
This sort of purchase should be looked at as an amusement
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Learn More...
United States
21507 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

I don't like either of them, but if I had to make a choice I would buy the first one. Broken coins never have appealed to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9250 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

must agree fully with Echizento on which if I "had to" buy and whole flan, but at that price and if you expect investment potential, wait for a better example., and buy from reputable sources!

Pillar of the Community
Canada
963 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but I would buy neither of those coins. I too would wait for a better example.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United States
2871 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  08:42 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The person telling you that buying any particular coin is “a good investment”
Is often the very same person trying to sell it to you !
They ain’t lying either .....
The retail markup for most coins from a “reputable” dealer is around 100%
For them it was very good

The investor mentality has very nearly ruined the field
Most of the real “collectors” here would be delighted if coin prices came crashing back down to earth
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
08/09/2018 08:44 am
Valued Member
United States
321 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are in the hobby for investment you might want to reconsider. Most coins make terrible investments.

Last year I sold off my American collection that I had put together as a kid in the 1970s. Most of the coins were silver, low-mid grade commons and the like. Nothing exceptionally rare. I found that I was lucky to get what I paid for them in the 1970s, and most of the time I got less. Meanwhile inflation meant that a dollar I spent on a coin in 1978 was worth 4x as much today, so I would have done much, much better had I just socked the money I spent in coins in a savings account. But my mom encouraged my hobby anyway, believing the enjoyment I got from collecting was worth it.

That said, if your primary interest in the hobby is the joy of handling something that was handled by long-dead hands and the history that comes with it, and you are just trying to make the best choices, then I would recommend you wait for a better coin that more eye appeal. These coins are in auctions all the time, and you should be able to find a better example for the same price as these.

The key points are to find a coin that looks nice, with a clear CAESAR and well-drawn elephant (although sometimes a really badly rendered elephant may be fine as it suggests the artist had never seen one). Be patient, follow auctions from established dealers, and you'll likely get a coin you will be happy with.
Edited by jskirwin
08/09/2018 09:49 am
Learn More...
United States
59090 Posts
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2018  07:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlRashid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to FVRIVS point, Interestingly yesterday I had a Sassanian shapur I coin and while I was pressuring what seemed to be a cracked edge and suddenly the edge broke and revealed a crystalline edge which is good and bad. Good since I was suspicious of coin authenticity but now I know being crystalline inside it means authentic. Bad because now I have a damaged coin but luckily the chip was small on the edge and I used glue to attach it back.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05