Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2003-P Lincoln Cent Unplated Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  1:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Achilles to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not too familiar with these, to me it looks like an unplated planchet. It's not pitted as it was given an acid bath.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
24039 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks more like environmental damage.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Achilles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What would do that? There's not a speck of copper on this thing.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give me an accurate weight in the hundredths, (0.01 etc.)...it does look promising to be a true unplated blank/planchet, BUT the detail is too sharp, it could be an electroplated stripped coin (see all the DIY YouTube Vids). If it is 2.25-2.35gr, that just indicates plating loss. If 2.4-2.6, is just discolored.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Achilles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crazyb0, thanks for the weight indicator. I will weigh and post by 5pm.

Funny enough, I found a 1994 a while back that wasn't as sharp as this one and figured that someone may have altered it,
but now from what you're saying I might give that one a second look also.

The info on the web is sort of all over the place with these so it seems hard to tell.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12932 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thinking that it's an altered coin. Maybe someone removed the plating on your coin.
Errers and Varietys.

More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950

Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Achilles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps. That's what I'm trying to determine.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Achilles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight is 2.49 grams
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32239 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a normal coin that someone added a zinc coating. See the zinc dust that was plated over? Add the weight of the zinc. Then you've figured out what happened to your coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Achilles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Coop, thanks for weighing in.

I'm starting to see how counterfeited these are after posting this here. I gotta say though, if this is altered I'm surprised w the amount of detail still left on the coin.

If it is a zinc coating then what you're saying is they removed the copper, then added the zinc?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24039 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If someone added zinc,why doesn't it weight more?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental in my opinion. See them a lot like that here in Florida after sitting a hot car or something in the humidity for a couple years of. If it wasnt stained then maybe, but it looks like maybe it had something spilled on it, dried out and turned into this. Like I said though, just my opinion.
Edited by Waynoah83
08/09/2018 6:32 pm
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Achilles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never thought the environment could strip the plating off a coin like this. Maybe so.

I think I'm going to take this one to a shop and see what they say. I know a lot of people make these but I would love to have a genuine one for the collection.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32239 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The surface on them would be smooth.

There are youtube videos on how this is done. But what stood out at me was the copper plating over the dust leaving raised marks. You can see the on the coin and more roughness from the adding of zinc on the surface.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2018  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it is 2.25-2.35gr, that just indicates plating loss. If 2.4-2.6, is just discolored.

You're overestimating the weight of the plating. The plating only weighs about .06 grams. So with a spec weight of 2.5 grams with a tolerance of .1 grams a regular cent could weigh from 2.4 to 2.6 grams. So if the black missed the plating process that would give it a possible weight range of 2.34 grams to 2.54 grams and almost complete overlap of weight ranges. Weight really isn't going to tell you anything.

Quote:
If someone added zinc,why doesn't it weight more?

Maybe it does. You don't know what it weighed before the zinc was added. If it weighed 2.43 grams before they zinc plated it (which is within the spec tolerance range) and they added as thick a layer of zinc as the thickness of the copper plating,(about .06 grams worth) it would end up actually weighing slightly less than that 2.49 grams mentioned.

The only real way to authenticate non-plated cents (as opposed to unplated which implies that a plating was removed) is for the coin to be AU or MS, and it must have SMOOTH surfaces and show cartwheel luster. A zinc plated coin won't show luster because the microscopic flowlines have been "filled". And it may show plating blisted in the underlying copper plating. A circulated, corroded or oxidized non-plated zinc cent can show the same dark rough and/or pitted surfaces that a cent with removed plating will show. So if it isn't smooth and showing cartwheel, it's not going to be accepted as a non-plated zinc cent.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05