Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Boston Tea Party 1773 Counterstamp  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  3:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shalex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there, I was wondering if someone could help me researching this counter-stamped coin. The host coin is a half-penny of GIII of 1773. It came from a tray of other counter-stamped coins and hobo nickels costing me nothing. The stamp says "BOSTON TEA PARTY 1773", with retrograde N. The circular punches for individual letters are visible. the letters are of irregular size, but neatly shaped. The font looks very modern, yet the bottom of the letters shows even patina. Given the eternal interest to the relics of the American Revolution, it may be just a hoax. I would typify saying that I wish to believe the counter-stamp is authentic and contemporary, but I have not found anything like that on the Internet. So I wonder what would be the argument against the authenticity of the item? E.g., the Boston Tea Party was not called like that in 1773, or some other discrepancies? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

*** Edited by Staff to remove YELLING. All capital letters is the internet version of yelling. Please do not do it in titles or posts. ***

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by shalex
08/10/2018 05:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
9273 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the funny farm!

Well, the font is way too modern and you are correct it is a farce imitation. Is it even a real Gill? What is that at the 5:30 position? How about the reverse. It is a made up coin, who knows the reason, maybe a reenactment handout? or tourist trap coin.

Learn More...
United States
59123 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4166 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
27343 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a modern fantasy piece.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1685 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

Crazy that is great!
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA Number: 3178122
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10157 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  12:09 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF!
Errors and Varietys, the CCF 911 responder and helper. ;-)
United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shalex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everybody! It's a fishy piece indeed. It came along with several other authentic (WWII dog tags and hobo nickels) and suspicious pieces, including a worn GIII penny 1806 crudely inscribed with a hangman besides the gallows and "END OF PAIN" above (possibly imitating the Burke's supporters' jeton of 1793 against the book of Thomas Paine) and another worn GIII penny 1806 inscribed with a merry couple of male and female dancers in the period costumes on reverse and "1803" on obverse. It seems there was somebody making or collecting such exonumia here in our city, and now it's beeing sold for a pound a piece, perhaps after the collector/cutter passed away, 'cos I cannot feel any intention to fool anybody for money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4913 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2018  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a modern replica, unfortunately.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05