Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Golden 2004-P Iowa State Quarter  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
102 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  10:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add coinee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I usually ask the local convenience store for any dollars or halves they have. Tonight there were some dollars and the clerk said oh this one is a quarter - but golden in color. I said I'll take it.

The first thing that comes to mind is it's plated. Looking at the edge there is no clad layer showing. Next I weighed it against a couple other state quarters. The two normal quarters weighed 5.665 and 5.773. The golden quarter weighs 5.742. If the coin were well worn I think the weight would lean toward plating. But it is not so I would expect the weight to exceed the heavier of the normal quarters.

Here are some photos. The lighting is fluorescent so some of the reflections are white. The reverse has something going on in the middle that is the only area not looking golden.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Edited by coinee
08/09/2018 10:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
102 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok. I did some Google searching and found this post.
http://goccf.com/t/121054

So there is nothing special about this.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10251 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was gold plated.
Errors and Varietys, the CCF 911 responder and helper. ;-)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31295 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HSC reject. I don't remember seeing plating falling off before on coins.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05