Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uncut Sheet Obsolete Currency (Maybe?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2018  10:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pennywise142 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Probably my lack of good search skills but I found only very scant information about this. I have only a very limited knowledge about currency in general and obsolete currency in specific. I did consider that this may be just some kind of promotional or souvenir piece? The reverse is blank but the paper seems to my untrained eye as not artificially aged. Any information would be appreciated.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2018  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without holding it, it's hard to tell. The lines/dots in Washington look very clear to be a reprint. Try holding it up to a light, and look at it with a black light. You might find a watermark or something in the paper.
You can always send it to be graded and see what happens.
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28776 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2018  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That foxing along the edges of the sheet sure looks authentic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3836 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely a leftover unissued sheet. Appears authentic.

My old Shull catalog shows a single "superb UNC" being offered at $225.00.

You may have something worth something!

Hopefully others with more info will chime in!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4341 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2018  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unissued remainders are known for this issuer. This Heritage Auction archive sheds quite a bit of light on the vignettes https://currency.ha.com/itm/obsolet...ption-071515

The men depicted are Union Colonel Schall and Union Generals Slemmer, Hancock and Hartranft. That is the bank building depicted too.

I am going on record and saying DO NOT cut the sheet mainly because once cut there is no going back. This uncut sheet sold for $558.13 two years ago https://currency.ha.com/itm/obsolet...ption-071515
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28776 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2018  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a collector of old books (18th and 19th c.), I can attest to the apparent authenticity of the paper. This sort of edge discoloration and random bruising is very difficult to simulate.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3836 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2018  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Do not cut the sheet!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1297 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For what it's worth, in the new Kelly book a single note has a value of $450 VF and $300 New. As stated above, do not cut it apart. Nice find. How did you acquire it?

KK
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2018  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennywise142 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As usual there is some great knowledge here. Thank you all for sharing. Quite a surprise to me about the authenticity.

Thanks for the advice not to cut the sheet. No worries. I won't be cutting it.

Quote:
KK Nice find. How did you acquire it?

My father was a prominent businessman and had a great working relationship with his bank. They knew he was a collector and often kept oddities and other goodies aside for him. I expect this was one of them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1297 Posts
 Posted 09/01/2018  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it has been well protected but you may want to get a protective sleeve, something mylar. Also I think I reversed the amounts for the VF and New notes in my post above. Apologies.

KK
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05