Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1798 Large Cent For Grading (Now with way better photos!)

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  2:24 pm Show Profile   Check Buckwill311's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok so there I was, sitting in a chem lecture typing notes on my computer, when I noticed I received an email. I causally click on it, and my jaw drops. I received high definition photos of this coin from NGC think I short-circuited my computer from drooling so much

I sent in a submission of 5 coins and this was one of them. I asked them for the photo vision services because I had trouble getting a good picture of the coin.

Even though the reverse looks a little grainy, at this point I could care less what it grades. I am aboslutely in love with this coin.

What would you guys grade it now with the better photos? And what do you think I paid for it?
Here is the link to the previous topic I posted with the poor photos.

http://goccf.com/t/325514

I'll keep you guys posted when I get the results!

College bound
Lehigh University '2022
Pillar of the Community
United States
5687 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vf25. Lovely.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28894 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly even VF-30.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6234 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF30

You asked us what we think you paid for it? Ok...I'll go out on a limb and say 5$.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6669 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did they do anything to the coin - or just took better pictures?
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1897 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin . I happen to run across its rougher shaped sister. Looks to be from the same die. 142921945290
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Buckwill311's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did they do anything to the coin - or just took better pictures?

They didn't do anything to it I just paid a little extra to have it photographed.

[quote] Ok...I'll go out on a limb and say 5$. [quote]
I paid way more than $5 for it, westernsky but good guess
College bound
Lehigh University '2022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6669 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a harder one for me as there are worn places but then nicer areas. Because of the weak LIBERTY & Partial date I'll go no higher than F15 (The reverse made me go up from F12). And I won't even guess a price. I bought an AG03 earlier this year for 85$ but your is alot nicer.
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Check Buckwill311's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mark1959
I think one of the reasons I got it for such a good price was because of the weak strike. This variety is known for being weakly struck around the edges.
College bound
Lehigh University '2022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13662 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35 but an EF-40 TPG holder would not surprise me.
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Buckwill311's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it graded that high IndianGoldEagle I think I would explode.

I bought it as a VF20, and paid $300 for it.
Personally, I see VF25

I can't wait to get this coin back!
College bound
Lehigh University '2022
Pillar of the Community
United States
6452 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good price. it is weakly struck and the reverse shows moderate porosity. I see VF25 particularly the hair. they may knock it a grade for the strike though. I have a VF30

Edited by panzaldi
09/06/2018 3:43 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1081 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2018  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add babysitr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see VF20, maybe 25...nice example
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Check Buckwill311's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Buckwill311 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I got grades back from 4 of the 5 coins I submitted to NGC.(I'll make a new post about those ones). I'm pretty satisfied with the results except for this one which graded VF -Details Reverse Cleaned
Personally I think that's a stretch, if anything I would have said environmental damage because of the porosity. There aren't any hairlines so I don't think it was scrubbed, I guess it must have been dipped at some point in its lifetime.
But oh well, I still think it's a very attractive coin, and I'm glad I bought it
College bound
Lehigh University '2022
Pillar of the Community
United States
1213 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome coin but don't spend your precious money on grading fees. Spend it on girls! College is some of the best years of your life...enjoy them!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05