Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 lmc possible clipped planchette?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
224 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  5:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wrongnumber to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Title says is all. Not to knowledgeable about these, so let me know what you think ;)

Edited by wrongnumber
09/11/2018 5:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1209 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You called it . Nice incomplete (clipped) planchet
Pillar of the Community
United States
3274 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a keeper!Nice pick up.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28205 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see any Blakesley effect, but it does look good to me.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wrongnumber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, this box has been good to me so far :)
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wrongnumber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thatís the term I was looking for, blakesley effect. Just looked it up on err-ref. Thanks !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2010 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Blakesley effect does not always show.
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wrongnumber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thinking out loud, maybe that only takes place/starts showing the larger the clip?
Pillar of the Community
United States
9905 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what is known as an edge clip. It was cut as a blank on a misaligned stock sheet on the outside edge. I have noticed that because there is no indention into the field as a curved clip does, that there seems to be enough metal on the edge as in this case to not cause the Blakesley effect nearly as much as an intrusion int the field with an ellipse. The metal is moving toward the collar evenly as opposed to the amount needed to move across a curved area.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1209 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very small clips and very large clips have a tenancy to not show the Blakesley effect
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wrongnumber to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, thanks for the info guys. Crazy, that makes perfect sense ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3550 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Blakesley effect does not always show.

True.
In this case the clip is small enough to not result in much (or any) Blakesley effect.
But if you look REALLY closely on the obverse there appears to be a slight weakness of the rim at the verdigris spot.
Or, at least, I think I see it.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12026 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice find and congratulations! Awesome score!
Errers and Varietys
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05