Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I've Been Lumping My Collection into Plates - Here's Sweden

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Sweden
132 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  12:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SpareHuman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The resolution is a wee bit lower than I would like, I had to keep this within CCF's image size restraint. You get the basic idea though. This set has been a lot of fun to put together, but a lot of time and effort. Hope you enjoy!

Ed. - If you want to see any closeups, I'll gladly post those :)

Edited by SpareHuman
09/12/2018 12:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1134 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that is a lovely set, beautifully displayed!

I can't tell if the theme is one from each reign (the recent issues seem more extensive than that), or just types that you find appealing.

Finally, is that a saint depicted on the 1575 coin? If so, which one? (and it looks like a really striking coin. I would love to see a close-up).

Edit: I looked up this type and see it is the king holding a sword. But would still love to see a closeup!
Edited by tdziemia
09/12/2018 1:55 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8102 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!! If your images are high enough resolution, you could get a large print made, frame it and put it up on a wall...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Sweden
132 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpareHuman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tdziemia - Just types that I find to have eye appeal. I rarely collect within a series, but I do have a bit of weakness for the Oscar era 2 Kronor.

The 1575 Íre is indeed a depiction of King Johan III. Image posted below

SPP-Ottawa - I considered that, but I prefer looking at the images on my phone/computer. Plus, I would have to reprint it constantly as I continuously update it with new examples.

Valued Member
United States
402 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very impressive and beautiful collection.

Thanks for sharing!
Pillar of the Community
United States
998 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A stunning collection!
Coins were meant to be spent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1134 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 1575 Íre is indeed a depiction of King Johan III. Image posted below

Quite a beautiful coin for that era!
I will also comment on the fashion of facial hair in the 16th c. as represented on European coins. At the beginning of the 16th c. we mostly see European monarchs who are clean shaven in their portraits (we have coins of Henry VII of England, early Francois I of France, Sigismund I of Poland, Duke Antoine of Lorraine, Hercules I d'Este of Ferrara, etc with no beard) In the late 16th century, beards become fashionable, sometimes very long beards, as in this depiction of Johan III, and also Sigismund II of Poland at about the same time (maybe there are others).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
791 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SpareHuman are you familiar with the Swedish show Anno 1790? It was a shame that it only ran for one season but it inspired me to find this Riksdaler.

Valued Member
Sweden
132 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  02:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpareHuman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all.. Much appreciative of the positive comments!

jgenn - I'm not too familiar with that show, but my wife watched it. My comprehension of Swedish at the time was subpar.

I love, love, love Riksdalers. The examples I want are often priced out of my range. There are some really stunning pieces out there. That's a great coin you have there. I dig the patina.
Learn More...
United States
62650 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05