Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some of my 1954d wheat pennies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
49 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  11:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rabbithole1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a roll of uncirculated 1954d wheat pennies today. I was so excited to look through them, clearly I'm new to coin collecting, but I absolutely love it. Double dies are extremely confusing even after reading everything about them..looking at examples..watching videos. Reminds me of when I couldnt tell the differance between a small date 1982D or large date...I looked up the differance between the two, and much was about how the numbers were aligned, digits higher or even. Then I came here and saw the best advice, LOOK AT THE 2.. The curve was unmistakable, so thank you for sharing. For those that can spot a DD ..what is your dead giveaway? And I'm posting a pic of my pennies, some look brand new like light gold color and a couple look brand new but more copper color, what is better?

Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Color preference is a personal preference thing. Color will change on most all of them over time anyway. Condition, date and mm are the more important things. That is a nice looking lot. Remember it is all about your enjoyment.
United States
49 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rabbithole1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you just1dreamr, that makes sense. Because I also bought a bunch of pennies that I absolutely loved from the 1930s because of their color that looked like rainbows on them. They were in the "junk" penny box. No value, but they are so pretty. So I completely understand
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8706 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Copper Cents are an animal in it's own place in the world of numismatics . They exhibit many different colors ranging from light brown to bright orange and everything in between depending on them being circulated or Uncirculated .
You have many choices to pick the color you like .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28205 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Handle them carefully!

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
31852 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When searching OBW cents that are BU, you might want to check out the various locations of doubled dies, and RPM to know what you are looking for for that year/mint. That will help train your eye. When you can get used to spotting what is doubled/RPM, then it becomes confusing. But eventually you will get your eye trained to spot the difference.

A lot of new collectors don't know what to look for, but after check out the sites for ID-ing the what they look like that will help. A lot po new ones look at a coin, realize they didn't find something. Then they look harder at the edges of the devices and think I found a doubled die, when really it is Machine Doubling. So don't forget to look up information first. It will help train you on what to look for. On this site when you type in CoopHome on the search or even click on the one I just typed, it will take you to a search. If it opens to page two, then you will see the updated lists of subjects I've posted in threads previously. That is also a help to new ones.

Ask questions.
Try the search feature on the upper left to find information about different things already posted.
All here are willing to assist you. But images are important when you find something.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12026 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like Coop's advice. Take his advice, and start out easy first.
Errers and Varietys
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05