Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Six Ring Rainbow 1970 S Proof Lincoln Cent Grade Guess

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
690 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2018  6:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought I would share one of mine and another forum members "favorite coin". Crazybo I know how much you love these and can't wait for your response.
It looked like a coin from the "Land of OZ" until I got it in hand. A good coin photographer can do wonders, when I photograph then reality sets in. Order of pics: 1. professional shot 2. home shot under lamp 3.home shot in sunlight.
Feel free to guess the grade.

Pillar of the Community
United States
760 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2018  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure it's a proof? It looks more like a circulated cent to me, and due to the fact that I am NOT a fan of 'decorated' coins, and not seeing the reverse, I'm giving it an AU-53.

Also, did you make this yourself, or acquire it already like this?
Pillar of the Community
United States
690 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2018  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No not a home job. Reverse is the 2nd pic. Its proof and slabbed straight so its market acceptable, at least I think it is.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2018  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Cammy,

I too am not a fan of "spectacular" tonings. That one is too, ahh, concentric and evenly distributed, has the look of AT. And I hope it 's just scratches on the slab in 3rd pix, that would kill a proof. Because the outer has deteriorated so far I wouldn't give it over a PF62, well not even a numerical. Like my 1909VDB says "Uncirculated Details, Altered Color", have to say yours is "Proof, Details, Questionable Color"...notwithstanding what an arbitrary TPG may have been paid to say...

I've heard the term "gassing the slab" in regard to such...I don't know much about that process.
Edited by Crazyb0
09/15/2018 8:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
690 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man I'm up against the ropes catching it from both corners Tanman Help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a larger reverse pic? That would help for grading.
Pillar of the Community
United States
690 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS PR66 RB
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11874 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we see pics of the slab ?
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
690 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love these things. If turned slightly sideways under lamp light the colors of the rings show strongly more akin to the professional photo. When laid flat the colors are flat.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin appears to have natural toning, not artificial toning. This toning pattern can occur when the coin is inside of the mint packaging.
Pillar of the Community
United States
690 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2018  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these Rainbow toned coins usually only found in the 1970 proof set? I don't encounter many others with such strong toning from other year sets. Could the alloy mix on 1970 proof planchets be a factor along with the packaging material? I see these on eBay and occasionally on GC but only the 1970 S. Asking and auction prices are all over the map, this example was acquired for under $30.00 and I have seen some go for a hundred and a half. I think their beautiful coins, each being unique.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's counter-stamp the coin with an image of Dorothy and Toto so they can be somewhere over the rainbow...augh I'm just mad that we can't have those nice colors on notes...I could try markers. Great coin.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
1899 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mrzllewellyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a 69 S ender that looks similar sorta
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16071 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have guessed PR-66. I know these very well, I've bought and sold a few and still own a couple. Here's my PCGS PR-67:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16071 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a 66 - I wish I never sold this one. It's my favorite but I had a 67 already.

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16071 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This coin appears to have natural toning, not artificial toning. This toning pattern can occur when the coin is inside of the mint packaging.

It does and everyone knows it happens in the mint packaging. That's why....

There is no such thing as artificial or natural toning. ALL TONING IS EITHER MARKET ACCEPTABLE OR NOT. The source of the toning is irrelevant.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05