Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PCGS, Population Higher?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  7:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SawtoothJack to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at the PCGS set registry, and noticed the two different population categories. Population and population higher. What's the difference?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2539 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in your example, ms64 there are 88,052 of them, and in higher grades ms 65, ms66, ms67 etc.. there are 21,782
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12617 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Higher means the ones graded higher than your grade. It's almost always inflated and just a ballpark
Pillar of the Community
United States
1532 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with Silverwolf -- it's a count of coins in grades higher than this one, but it includes only those graded by PCGS. It's an accurate count lifted from their own statistics. Note, though, that it does not include ungraded coins or coins graded only by other TPGs, and it does not consider that some coins are cracked and resubmitted hoping for a higher grade.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
resubmits throw the numbers off.

KK
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2018  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SawtoothJack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wouldn't it be in a collector's best interest to mail in the card from the slab with their resubmits, and help keep the population lower and more accurate?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1532 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2018  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coin gets a higher grade, it's "better" (note the quotes) to keep the lower population artificially inflated so the higher grade looks better by comparison. And if the earlier card is present on a resubmission, that grade could influence the grader, making a higher evaluation less likely.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15956 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2018  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's an accurate count lifted from their own statistics.

It is accurate as to how many they have graded, but it is not accurate as to that being that many individual coins. Some may be resubmissions and some of them are no longer in those holders. So it doesn't mean that there are actually that many still in existence.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Australia
700 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2018  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it accurate to how many they have graded? What about coins that they have graded but then canceled the certification? Even though the cert number shows as invalid it is still a coin that they have graded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1532 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2018  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is accurate as to how many they have graded, but it is not accurate as to that being that many individual coins. Some may be resubmissions and some of them are no longer in those holders. So it doesn't mean that there are actually that many still in existence.

That's what the last part of my earlier post means. If you look at their population report for each grade, "population higher" is the sum of the populations of all of the higher grades. That's what I meant by "It's an accurate count lifted from their own statistics." They can't know what happens to the coins after they slab them.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05