Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake Error $100 Polymer Altered

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
104 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2019  01:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Regent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
probably it is illegal, except if you burn your 100 $ after the experimentation
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4430 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2019  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We use the Aussie Guardian brand poly notes, in Australia you see notes with one side completely wiped clean with this product but the Canadian notes must use different ink, only the serial # comes off, the rest of the note looks regular just like a missing # but there is the indentation of the numbers. There has been very few poly currency errors since it's release, only a few off shades and a few double serial numbers notes.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
104 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2019  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Regent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably the varnish treatment is done before numbering and acetone remove only the numbers

Regent LM59 canadian paper money society
Valued Member
Canada
357 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2019  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Probably the varnish treatment is done before numbering and acetone remove only the numbers

It is well documented (even by BoC, Banks in NZ, and Australia) that varnish is the last element applied in the printing process and after the serial number.

This is the nature of printing on polymer substrate. The varnish is only omitted on the metallic stripe (hologram portion where there is a hologram).
Valued Member
Canada
357 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We use the Aussie Guardian brand poly notes, in Australia you see notes with one side completely wiped clean with this product but the Canadian notes must use different ink, only the serial # comes off, the rest of the note looks regular just like a missing # but there is the indentation of the numbers. There has been very few poly currency errors since it's release, only a few off shades and a few double serial numbers notes.

It would help a lot if you could kindly point to the notes you referenced here.

All the ink can be removed form the notes. That is not an issue. This is well known.

The issue is that if any ink is removed from the polymer notes with varnish that is applied last then the varnish will be removed as a result. When ink is partially removed as such the difference between varnish area and non-varnished area is very obvious. Varnish is translucent but it does add to the sheen of the surface finish.

If anyone is interested I am happy to show an error note where the varnish was omitted on one side. The difference in the sheen is very obvious. Without the varnish the printing looks dull and looks less shiny.

I am happy to bring this along at one of the shows in Toronto or at a club meeting in Toronto for those interested.
Edited by Paisa
04/01/2019 6:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4430 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2019  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe there are pics and talks on wiping whole side of Aussie poly notes on CCF Aussie error currency section
Edited by john100
04/01/2019 9:50 pm
Valued Member
Canada
357 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2019  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe there are pics and talks on wiping whole side of Aussie poly notes on CCF Aussie error currency section

Thx for the pointer. I did a search on acetone and missing ink in the Australian forum and I saw a lot of discussion about "acetoned" notes.

It simply confirms what I was saying. Using acetone removes ink and will remove the varnish.

There was an error note which was deemed to be genuine which was a mismatch prefix.

So bottom line IMHO is that if you come across a note with just the serial numbers missing you verify if it was "acetoned" or genuine by looking for the varnish layer. It would be very hard to miss.

Having said that such a blatant error particularly for polymers printed from 2013 would be higly unlikely because of the single note inspection process that was put in place. Most error notes that get by are small errors or those undetected by the single note inspection process.

Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
104 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2019  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Regent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree I am collecting errors ,in the polymer serie , they are not a lot errors , and when that occure its is fake errors or small errors
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4430 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2019  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can not take the rest of the Canadian notes off, only the serial #, the Aussie notes showed some experiments were the whole side of a note is whipped clean, so I presume our notes use a different ink
Valued Member
Canada
357 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2019  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Paisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You can not take the rest of the Canadian notes off, only the serial #, the Aussie notes showed some experiments were the whole side of a note is whipped clean, so I presume our notes use a different ink

Canadian Polymer bank notes and Aussie Polymer bank notes of current generation are essentially printed using the same sequence. This is well published data and there has been ample written on it from the Banks themselves.

The essential sequence is as follows:

Substrate receives opacifying layer (this is white in colour)
The hologram is applied
The litho printing is done
The Intaglio is applied
The Serial number is applied
The varnish is applied on both sides of the note. The only place varnish is not applied in Canadian notes is over the hologram near the clear window and the frosted window. The process of application of varnish is similar to litho printing.

Bottom line - Yes you can carefully remove the serial number only but the varnish also comes off. There is no way to take out any ink from the polymer without taking the varnish off.

When you see the note without the varnish you can easily tell the difference.

There have been many errors of serial numbers that are legitimate and can be found in the $50's printed by BAI. They happen at specific PN's and in specific ranges of serial numbers.

Here is an example of one from AMF prefix which can be found on PN 94 in a wide range. If you track the serial numbers then you can see where the print head started to wear off and where it was the worst before it was fixed.

With a note in hand you will be able to see that the varnish is intact. There is other evidence in this image which leaves no ambiguity that this was done at the printing stage and not after.

Edited by Paisa
04/09/2019 11:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4430 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2019  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the printing process info, but why can the Aussie collectors able to experiment and wipe a whole side or what ever design feature as half the queen's design off. The only other conclusion is the Aussie notes skips the varnish process, I think a few collectors has tried to create the same fake poly errors as that's on the Aussie forum, on the Canadian poly 100 dollars only the serial # comes off, by the way there are pics of the De La Rue note on it's own topic.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05