Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Victoria large cent alignment error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  11:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add field_of_mars to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know your opinion on this Canadian 1859 large cent
Although it has a medal alignment it seems to have a very pronounced rotation error visible on the reverse (close to 45 degrees )

I can't find the similar error online. Wanted to know if it's a common error.

Thanks

Edited by field_of_mars
10/12/2018 11:31 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2081 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are somewhat difficult to find, once above 30 degrees, but not real scarce. Yours does look nearly 45 degrees, so it would carry a small premium ... more so without the environmental damage. Nice find. I find it very strange that the Reverse in your hand is green, but the mirror image of it appears nearly normal bronze.
Edited by okiecoiner
10/12/2018 12:33 pm
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add field_of_mars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help. I couldn't find anything online mentioning this error. The color might be the result of the coin being buried in the ground for 150 years as it's a metal detecting find. Strangely, I have found the same year coin on the field with the different patina and no strike error.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6113 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you do this with the coin ?

And turn ...

To the Forum.

Check this out:
https://www.victoriancent.com/coin-info.html

Edited by Dorado
10/12/2018 5:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4145 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also learned this cool trick for rotation from another forum member here, put coin in a 2x2 place a small strip white tape on obverse 12 to 6 o'clock flip over and you can measure rotation, almost a cheap man's PCGS or NGC slab
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add field_of_mars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.

I hope these pics are clearer.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4145 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a 15 degree rotation, get a black sharpie and mark one side 6 to 12 o'clock, flip over and measure rotation
Edited by john100
10/12/2018 7:18 pm
Learn More...
United States
63472 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2081 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  03:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, looks like about 15. I wonder why the mirror photo made the rotation look larger?
Canada
15 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add field_of_mars to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I guess the ''mystery'' is solved. I had no idea about the rotation error.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4145 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The complete 180 degree is the most valuable and sought after in any rotation and 45 and 90 degrees are also valuable but at much less value. Keep on hunting !
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05