Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1870 indian head penny

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Uspenniesonly to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey new to this site but I though it would be a good place to ask some of you about the legitimacy of this coin I bought. I'm sorry about the picture quality I'mnew to coin collecting and don't have much equipment. The pictures are on the eBay listing since I was not able to upload my own
Canada
7 Posts
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Uspenniesonly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to list out my own concerns
-Edge of 1 (1870) reaching the edge of the bust
-The 0 (1870) not quite reaching the second curl
-The denticles on top are all gone (sort of like they were never there)
-The N is weak but not so much

-My main concern however, and the thing that made me suspicious is the finish of the coin. It almost looks like a new coin, but with the wear of an old coin (not sure how to explain it) the first image on eBay is the most accurate in terms of what it actually looks like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5668 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I agree and see the reason for your concern. The color and the sharpness of the lettering and devices looks off. It seems like the shallow N but the serifs look off. Not definitive but maybe worth authenticating if you can do it cheaply, say a $10 anacs submission.
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Uspenniesonly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, I looked into it and while it may be a good idea, I don't believe in the coin enough to spend any more money on it. Il probably just send it back and take the the hit on the shipping fees ($30 total) I appreciate the help.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6637 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should have asked before you bought. Looks like it was run over by a truck quite a few times. Condition is right for around a G04 cent but looks to have been cleaned also. Seems you over paid, I'd return it as soon as I received it.
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Uspenniesonly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mark, your assuming I didn't ask but I did, he said he was very confident it was real. In terms of what I paid, I took a risk and though that because the pictures where not clear, there was a chance that it could be a VF35, but it turns out to be more of a F12, (definitely not G04). I only received the coin a couple hours ago, and I'm returning it based on the fact that I think it might be fake, not the condition, that part is on me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1149 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The seller stated in the description that the coin had been cleaned. I don't think they are trying to deceive in any way.

If the coin is genuine and at the grade you estimate, your price wasn't awfully high for a cleaned example. Just have to decide if it fits into your set.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28797 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine but damaged, full 30-day returns. Ship it back.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the photos the coin looks G-06 . Something off about too . Might be wise to send it back to seller .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Uspenniesonly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you everyone. I don't think the guy was trying to deceive me at all, and I think it could go either way whether its real or not, especially looking at it in person. I'm sending it back which I have never done before, since it seems like sort of an thing to do.
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Uspenniesonly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently is censored, my bad
Pillar of the Community
United States
719 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Mark1959:Should have asked before you bought.

Quote:
Uspenniesonly: Mark, your assuming I didn't ask but I did, he said he was very confident it was real.

Uspenniesonly,I believe You may have misunderstood Mark.I think He was saying too have asked here at CCF.There are plenty of experts here that are willing to help You decide on any coin You may have questions about.Although I am not one of them.They can save You not only time,but money as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6637 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, sorry, just took it for granted he would know I meant - "Should have asked HERE before buying"
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13637 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin has issues. I'd look for a nicer coin in the same grade if that's the price range you want to stay in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6112 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05