Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gold Apollo 11 Medal... Info Needed Please/Thanks!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2018  6:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Hey guys, does anyone know or can dig up any info on this girl. A friend bought it raw from a guy who's father was an NASA engineer on the Apollo missions.

I'm wondering if it was something that was exclusively given out to people on the project or was it available for sale to the general public and being an Apollo Engineer the guys father bought it when it first came to market? Any help you guys can dig up would be great. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8209 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2018  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think technically it should be graded as damaged because or the rim hit(s).

I am not finding any struck in gold, that doesn't mean there weren't specially made for some important people.
https://coins-n-medals.com/Exhibits..._medals.html
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2018  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TNG. I was able to find that page but like you said, no mention of a gold version. Guess I'll look into if Balfour is still around or if not who has their records, assuming they still exist. Or maybe, if no luck there, I'll try contacting a NASA historian. There has to be a few of those out there that know just about everything especially when it comes to the Apollo 11 mission, I would think..
Learn More...
United States
78471 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump. Anybody have any ideas on how to find info on the gold version? I called Balfour and they've changed hands a couple of times and as such they haven't a clue. They primarily deal in class rings and such now. I'm thinking a NASA historian or NASA archivist possibly but not sure how I get in contact with one. Who would I call? Any other ideas or suggestions or where to start via NASA? Thanks for looking:)
Edited by Cascade
11/17/2018 10:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8209 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe NASA has a public relations office. They get paid to be friendly.
My favorite album!
Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly a jeweler could look at it and determine if it is gold or gold-plated.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I haven't checked back on this thread but it's not plated. Its struck on a 10k gold planchet Willie.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5823 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  08:36 am  Show Profile   Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Struck for NASA by the L. G. Balfour Company of Massachusetts these medals were for distribution to NASA and space industry employees that worked on the missions. They were not originally available to the public but in 1973 the International Numismatic Agency, 96 Prince Street, New York, New York was appointed exclusive distributors to the public for the 13 medals. The medals distributed by the International Numismatic Agency were only available in sets which came in custom designed leatherette chests lined with silk and velvet.
Richard Barnes
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Face Book https://www.facebook.com/Numismatic.Jewelry/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8209 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  09:40 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lookit that info! Good job nohope587!
My favorite album!
Learn More...
United States
78471 Posts
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Apollo12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks to me very few gold Apollo 11's were minted by Balfour. The same one you have pictured sold on ebay in
July of this year. I've had it in my watch list for years! Out of my budget otherwise I would have it. Have
many pewter and sterling silver versions of the same and like coins, no two are identical. Here is the ebay listing...https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-GOLD-...b8xlYT8CT4m0
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16015 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any info on the purity, diameter and weight?
Certainly valuable, if made in quantities of 100 or less.

With other medal manufacturers, several different versions in sizes, metal purity, and in all coinage metals may be offered.
Learn More...
United States
78471 Posts
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Apollo12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent info nohope587. Just found this sale from 2010 of a gold Apollo 11 medal and they were minted on 10k gold planchets Lucky buyer! I've seen the 13 sterling silver set a friend has with the signed COA from the International Numismatic Agency in Manhattan and they are spectacular. Cascade...If your friend who bought the gold Apollo gold lives in Temecula, CA. then he is the one who sold the MS65 graded by NGC on ebay. BTW, I don't think those are rim hits, more likely planchet flaw, seen the same in hand on pewter ones.

https://www.icollector.com/item.aspx?i=9759149

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2019  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add don_kacho to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello I recently got a hold of this exactly same medal/coin. My has LGB 10k stamp on the ring.Can some body tell me any idea of how much is worth? Thanks in advance
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05