Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Czech 1 Oz Silver Coins From Niue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 813Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
595 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2018  11:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add janknez to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
APMEX is selling a 1-oz silver "Czech lion" coin that they claim is "Guaranteed by the Czech Mint" but which is obviously minted by/in Niue complete (with the likeness of QEII on the obverse and a value of 2 dollars -- not koruny).

What exactly are these?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21466 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2018  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one made no sense to me either. Minted in New Zealand for Niue but with the Czech reverse. These are just bullion coins where the mark up gets split between Niue and Czechoslovakia.
Canada
20 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2018  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silvercoin2011 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like the coin, the mintage. But the design is the same for 2017 and 2018 !
Pillar of the Community
United States
3789 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was considering getting a few of these, but turned off by the milk spots issues that I Came across when I was reading about this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Minted in New Zealand for Niue but with the Czech reverse.

If I'm reading this correctly, the Czech Mint's page for these coins suggest it's the other way around, produced by the Czech Mint for Niue: "The obverse side of the coin bears the linden branch and attributes of the Niue Island that provides the Czech Mint with a foreign license to coin its own coins".

https://ceskamincovna.cz/en/silver-...755-10380-d/

That's the English version of the page. Running the Czech version through Google Translate gives the same verbiage (which might have produced the English version in the first place). Mistranslation or misreading?

Edit add: Found this at https://exclusivecoins.blogspot.com...ins_29.html:
Quote:
The Czech Republic wanted to issue a bullion coin with Queen Elizabeth II's effigy , with a few Czech motifs on the Obverse, to resemble the Sovereign Gold/Silver bullion coins for wider acceptability world-wide.

Niue Islands (which has no coining mint) and which usually requisitions the help of various mints world-wide to mint its commemorative/circulating coins, has come to the aid of the Czech Mint and for a first time helped create this coin for the Czech Republic, which has a mint (the #268;eskŠ Mincovna) but so far did not have a bullion program.

The New Zealand Mint has given a license to the Czech Mint to coin its own coins.

Side note: The New Zealand Mint is a private mint, not associated with The Royal Mint.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Edited by Alpha2814
12/16/2018 2:46 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 813Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05