Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Optima sheets by Lighthouse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bulgaria
3 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  08:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add turbinee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys, new to the forum, not new to banknote collecting.
I have a problem I need your help in solving; I have albums from the Optima series from Lighthouse. I just recently noticed oily stains inside the sheets that will move around if you press the page and disappear if you open the pocket. If you touch inside it is not oily nor wet and there is no residue on the fingers, but still the stains are really visible and do bother me a lot. Now I am getting the black separator pages and the stains will be even more visible. I was told this is side effect from the material of the sheets and is normal, however I have not noticed it before. I am worrying this might be moisture inside the pockets, which will be bad. I have electronic humidity sensor in the room and it says 54 percent humidity, which is not perfect but acceptable.
Does any of you have experience with the Lighthouse products?

Please have a look at my pics and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
George
Valued Member
Canada
234 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that would bother me too. I don't think that it is oil or moisture.

It is light reflection from the way the plastic was made. If you look under a microscope you will see that the plastic sheet is not perfectly flat but wavy. Lay this on top of another wavy sheet and the opposing refracting of the light is what you see.

Plastics are made from petroleum polymers, hence the oily look.

I use C-01-M-100 medium bill holders and insert these into Ultra Pro Platinum Series Binder Pages. The pages and holders are PVC free and made in the USA. I have uses these pages for years and never had a problem.
Edited by ShareBear
11/07/2018 09:56 am
Bulgaria
3 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turbinee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ShareBear, yes I was thinking the same thing that it is the plastic. Lighthouse are well know for their supplies so I am sure when they say that it is safe that it is. I was more worried that it might me moisture, which for notes is a problem. I will be glad if someone could confirm they can see similar stains inside the holders as mine.

On another note, does anyone know what exactly technology and what to look for if I want to make my own dehumidifier cabinet for my collection? I had a photo camera dry box with dehumidifier, but now cannot find how exactly it worked. I know it is no-drip dehumidifier, maybe I can buy it from ebay. Does anyone know what the technology for this type of dry box is and if there is a kit to make your own?

thanks
Learn More...
United States
62505 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29555 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ShareBear, very interesting.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
Canada
234 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ShareBear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have experience in the electronic industry and relative humidity RH is always a problem with components which have not been soldered.

The only way to to absolutely control RH is to use a dry bake oven. Something similar to this.

I have no idea as to how this would affect your notes. Since the oven does heat and moisturize to control RH.

You can also place them in a Moisture Barrier Bag MBB with a desiccant and humidity indicator card.

But then you don't get to enjoy your notes.

If you do place a dehumidifier in a room it is more important that the room be sealed properly to control the moist air in the room.

Bulgaria
3 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  05:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turbinee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before while in Asia I used this kind of dry box for camera equipment:

Had humidity control from 25%-70%. I could not ship it back to Europe as it was expensive and now am looking to make something myself like DIY. I was really happy with this dry box as it always kept the humidity at 50%.

Now I am looking at some Peltier plates, which is what is used in this dry box to control humidity and will attempt to make my own dry box.
Pillar of the Community
United States
989 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing oily about it. You're looking at an effect of humidity, just open your storage and albums now and then. It's called Newton's Effect, and is harmless.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05