Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 Half Dollar Missing "s"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  2:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Zander_ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

New to the coin collecting area and found my first "rare" coin. It's a 1974 half dollar and missing the "s" which I've read is relatively rare.

Since I'm completely new to this I have no idea about grading.

Sorry about the poor photos (although for an iPhone I couldn't ask for more). The coin overall looks to be in very good condition and was found in a homemade roll.

Thanks,

Zander

Valued Member
Canada
248 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check here: http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins...ts-1965-1989

From your pic's I'd say AU-58 to Ms-60
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zander_ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link and the grading!

Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3891 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to be MS? you need to take your pics straight down, above the coin not at an angle please.
Please feel free to view my Gallery
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Learn More...
United States
62505 Posts
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zander_ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone!

@mcshilling - The initial photos were taken at an angle to give better perspective of the defects and also without blocking my light source. With further though into taking a better image I realized I could simply scan the coin. Turned out much better then my photo and the imperfections under the queens eye look horrible; almost unnoticeable when looking at the coin with the naked-eye.

P.S - the slight imperfections at the 12 and 11 o'clock positions on the tail side have been documented and thus are a minting error. Also, the plastic film I used to protect the glass on the scanner has some dust which is visible.
http://www.numicanada.com/forum/vie...426&start=30

Thanks again,

Zander

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5716 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14174 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29556 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Poor gal with that cheek!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4120 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First welcome, these minor die plugs are very well known and most dealers at GTA shows will have many examples of this type of variety for very reasonable prices
Learn More...
Canada
8094 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
these minor die plugs are very well known and most dealers at GTA shows will have many examples of this type of variety for very reasonable prices

This is completely incorrect - the 1974 Missing S is always quite elusive and in fact it was the ONLY 50-cent coin in trends after 1955 that actually went up in all grades in the Canadian Coin New Trends during the last round of price adjustments by Michael Findley.

You rarely see these on eBay. I just sold one, a crappy EF with a scratch - my listing on eBay only lasted 1 day. These always sell as soon as I list them...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/HARD-TO-FIN...302946207760

I sold one in MS-64 last year for $350... these are quite scarce in nicer mint state grades.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8094 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF Zander_...

Good eye, and a really nice cherry pick. Tough to tell without the coin in hand, but it looks like a nice AU-55 to possibly a "baggy" MS-60.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05