Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rejected After Nearly 20 Years

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2018  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We'll all be able to search, we're just going to have to pay for the search.
I suppose those "unsearched" lots on eBay will be there long after the physical bank locations have closed.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add catskillcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bank usually is ok about me buying boxes of coins, but only if they have more than enough to cover their merchants.. however I went to a few banks I don't have an account with and they flat out will not sell coins unless you have an account, which I find ridiculous.
My bank also has a coin machine so when a bag is full I have no problems getting to buy those, but be prepared to drop $1000 on a bag of halves or quarters.
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...they flat out will not sell coins unless you have an account, which I find ridiculous.
No it is not, unless you pay them a premium. Sorry, but banks are in business to make a profit. They are not a public service. Sure, some might do it to be nice and hope to win business, but they will eventually give up after realizing that they are getting nothing in return.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19076 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone here ever ordered coins from one of the armored car services (Brinks etc)? That seems to be where the banks get their coins.
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not that I am aware of, but I imagine they would charge you more than it would be worth. They certainly do not ship to the banks for free, which is one reason why banks do not like to service CRH.
Pillar of the Community
United States
769 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My bank usually is ok about me buying boxes of coins, but only if they have more than enough to cover their merchants.. however I went to a few banks I don't have an account with and they flat out will not sell coins unless you have an account, which I find ridiculous.
My bank also has a coin machine so when a bag is full I have no problems getting to buy those, but be prepared to drop $1000 on a bag of halves or quarters.

My bank doesn't mind at all. All they ask is I call ahead so I don't waste the time driving there if they don't have enough on hand. I've also had some banks deny me service if I do not have an account. However, it is usually only the big corporation banks that do that. I've been to plenty of small banks that are more than happy to accommodate me. One time, I went into a local bank and asked for a box of cents, and she up-sold me for a bag of $50 she was going to send back to the FED! Remember, it also costs them $$ to send coins back!

*edit* - I should note I found an XF 1903 IHC in that bag!
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Complete / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Complete / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 4 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 6 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Edited by ty88ty2
12/19/2018 12:03 pm
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, it is usually only the big corporation banks that do that. I've been to plenty of small banks that are more than happy to accommodate me.
Unfortunately the former is quickly assimilating the latter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
854 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2019  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When my bank started ordering me boxes of coins I was told flay out "we don't order and can't get you half's or dollar coins".
My dump bank with the coin sorter says they "don't take half's or dollar coins in the sorting machine also but feel free to dump the regular circulating coins as much as I like"

In my opinion both are really helpful for me just that they just don't want to deal with the coins nobody is using in commerce. They don't want to order them and where ever you dump them they don't want to take them.
And if you are getting a box of half's from one bank branch and dumping at another bank branch, they may be aware of what's going on through their system, even if you personally didn't do it but someone else earlier did it and they are turned off on doing it.

If they order $1000 in half's for you, they don't want to see them again in their system and if anyone screws that up and raises the flag in the area the branches are going to get told "don't order half dollars for people they are bringing them here and dumping them on me!"

And that screws it up for everyone.
From what I can tell they don't mind if it's something they will use and you don't dump a truckload on them at once, but half and dollar coins take up a lot of space and they have to be returned at a cost to make room for stuff they use.

A silver hunter going through 5 boxes a week can make a bank branch miserable if they just dump and dump at the same place. It turns them off from wanting to do it anymore and they will call the other branches to find out who's doing the ordering to try and cut off that problem for them.
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hullamania to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes my bank accommodates me, sometimes it doesn't. I get why they they prefer not to deal with the hassle, but I have no problem asking because they need my money and they make money off the interest I pay them for my home loan. Keep at it, at least until they all cut everyone off.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05