Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Auction Company's Photos Are More Accurate.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  03:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
The following set of pictures are of the same coin but the pictures were taken by 3 unnamed auction companies.

Which one do you feel represents the more accurate depiction of what this coin will look like inhand?

Company A:

Company B:

Company C:

Poll Choices
  Company A
  Company B
  Company C
  I'm not sure
  I only voted to see what others thought
  They all look like what the coin will look like inhand

Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Edited by MikeF
11/17/2018 03:47 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18266 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure I understand this. How can 3 different companies sell the same item?
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15638 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They didn't sell it at the same time. The same coin has appeared in three different auctions over a period of time.

As for which most looks like the coin, send me the coin so I can compare it to the images and I'll give you my opinion.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2364 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lighting and clarity on B is much better. A & C both hide some of the marks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8692 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted B...you can clearly see the dings on the obverse more so than A and C.
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like most I voted "B". Due to the reasons already addressed by others. However, I think if the coin were in hand "A" would probably be the closer to three to the actual coin side by side. Sounds contradictory, but I assume the question was a purchase based on photo only.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see how A and B would both be representative, depending on the lighting in-hand. B looks more natural, in good light. If I were in a less well lighted room, it would be A, but I 'd rather be looking at coins in better light anyway.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the Stacks pictures are the clear winner.

Company A was Heritage.
B was Stacks.
and C was Legend.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8692 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I felt that the Stack's pictures showed the small dings and surfaces better than the other two.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12261 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just saw this and wish I had sooner.

I think really what this thread is showing is what pictures people prefer as without seeing the coin in hand it is harder to say which is actually the most accurate. Technically these are all accurate to the conditions under which they were photographed.

That said there are some logical assumptions we can make here. Between the three Heritage has the most photo set up look. Stacks is likely accurate to a strong light and Legend overall is probably the closest to normal conditions.

The true look may be a bit between the Legend and Stacks looks but Legend is a small high end boutique type sale who can take the time on their photos that Heritage and Stacks cannot unless its a super high value.

Obviously I cannot say for sure as I have never seen that coin, but I would lean towards Legend being the closest to normal in hand room conditions
Edited by basebal21
11/18/2018 10:13 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
282 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  11:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Stack's photo clearly shows a cud beneath the date that is much harder to see in the other two photos.
What strikes me is the difference in eye appeal among what at first glance look like three different coins. If I were buying, I would want to buy a coin that looks like the Legend picture. I would not buy a coin that looks like the Heritage photo. I think the obv. Is okay, but the rev. Looks lifeless. I like the obv. of the Stack's photo, but the rev. looks unnatural to me. The Legend photo shows a pink cast to the toning that I find quite appealing, and which isn't suggested in the other two photos. It is the photo that most conveys the characteristics that make the coin look "special" rather than ordinary.
Tends to make me wonder .... a lot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tends to make me wonder .... a lot.

What's on your mind?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
282 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MikeF
I wonder how I can trust photos when the same coin can look so different just because it has been photographed by someone different.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder how I can trust photos when the same coin can look so different just because it has been photographed by someone different.

If you continue to stay vigilant and keep a close eye on the coin's you are interest in, you will do just fine.

Keep watching coins offered by Heritage, Great Collections, David Lawrence, Stacks, and Legend, and you will come to realize that the learning curve for interpreting pictures is much easier than the task initially suggests.

Also, Keep watching this forum and learning. Keep asking those smart questions! You have the best consortium of knowledgeable collectors at your finger tips at CCF.
Edited by MikeF
11/20/2018 02:03 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
683 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I think 'B' doesn't hide anything (at least that the others do).

Obviously without knowing which one is the most accurate its hard to see say for certain.

However if I bought using photos A and C and the coin looked liked B in hand, I would be a little disappointed
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15638 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People liked B because it showed the marks better, but the question was which one looks most like the coin does in hand. If in normal in hand viewing the marks don't show up clearly, then B is NOT what it looks like in hand.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05