Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Counterfeit 1 Oz. Gold Credit Suisse Bar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7154 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  2:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The new style Credit Suisse Bar is now being counterfeited but it is easy to spot.
Just look at the logos on the reverse.
On the counterfeits, the logos are larger and there is inconsistent spacing between them.
As stated many times, only buy from a reliable dealer.
There are no deals on Gold or Silver.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
7154 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2019  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the bar that scammer was trying to sell you in your other post?
Fake gold bars are like counterfeit coins, most of them have some sort
of a marker that you can identify them by.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3682 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  09:16 am  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Best thing to do is learn the color of gold. It's mostly an orange-y yellow. This is just me, but I'm a cowboy so I bite my gold (24K!) bars and coins to test them. Do not trust the packaging! Packaging is easier to fake than gold itself as it doesn't require any specialized skills to print something.

Most fake gold bars that I've seen are too yellow and are visibly plated. It takes experience to spot plating, but once you sort out your colors in your mind it's like spotting emeralds and diamonds; it becomes a split-second decision. Anyone who spends a lot of time doing only one thing become really good at it, same with all of our hobbies.

Font is another big indicator. A letter isn't just a letter. They have certain aesthetic styles which please the eye or the opposite. In a lot of cases the counterfeiter couldn't be bothered to copy a bar straight up.

The reason that they overhaul the design altogether is because the volume of the bar must be a certain size (think of density of gold). You would think that a straight copy would be enough but that would mean that the bars would be underweight (debased metals are not as heavy as gold). Most fake bars are the exact size of real gold bars from the top-down, but the THICKNESS of the bar gives it away. It will weigh 31.1g or even more, but gold is DENSE. Take your bars out of the packaging and start FEELING your gold. BEND it. BITE it. If it's difficult to leave a scratch or dent on it then it's not gold. If you have a strong young hand it is not difficult to bend a gold coin or bar with just your fingers in one hand. Think of it as modern "chopmarks". Authenticators. This is bullion, not numismatic. The material that you're investing in doesn't degrade or become "lesser" if you dent the gold. That's a solid fact, but just don't do it to rare bars with collector value. Usually they won't come out of nowhere; they will come into the legitimate market with provenance.

Long story short: measure your gold bars with a ruler or calipers against known gold bars to make sure the volume and density is correct. Gold coins are smaller than one might imagine them to be (Scrooge McDuck had some massive gold coins).

The fakers are banking on the hope that the only test you do out of the package is weighing it on a scale. Please, I urge people to know what gold looks and feels like.
Edited by Libertad
10/22/2019 09:24 am
Germany
1 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goldeneye120 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very often the bar is forged with tungsten. It is very hard to check this.
https://www.gold-analytix.de/en-uk/gold-fakes
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18300 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2019  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one reason why I prefer Government issued coins.
Learn More...
United States
78623 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05