Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1914 To 1918 Gold Sovereigns

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 811Next Topic  

United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  3:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kevin11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I have a ww1 boxed set of gold sovereigns 1914 to 1918 all as new condition with proof certified receipt ect in separate clear cases ,I know nothing about coins ? Are these actually worth anything to anyone ?
1914 ...royal mint London
1915..1917....London
1918...Bombay India
As I say I know nothing about coins any help would be much appreciated many thanks
Valued Member
Canada
90 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CurrencyLooker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pictures would help
Pillar of the Community
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kefiroth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1917 London is a rarity, and if authentic (and that's a BIG "if") would be worth thousands.

Pictures are required to assess.
Edited by Kefiroth
11/19/2018 3:43 pm
Valued Member
Canada
379 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be suspicious...

1914-1916 London and 1918 Bombay are valued at bullion (just under 1/4 oz of gold) unless they are pristine however the 1917 London Sovereign is quite rare as most were melted down. 1917 Sovereigns are rated in the thousands of pounds in just about any condition.

Pictures will definitely help but check to see if there is a mint mark on the ground below the horse's hoof and above the date. If there is a mint mark, it is not from the London mint. C= Ottawa, Canada, I = Bombay, India, SA = Pretoria, South Africa and S=Sydney, M=Melbourne, P=Perth all from Australia.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48991 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!

Edited by Coinfrog
11/19/2018 4:13 pm
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevin11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

hi sorry for bad pics ile try and get some better ones later ,,thanks for the welcome ,,,ive had a look at some the 1917 coin cant see a mint mark so ? there was a reciept from bradford exchange in the uk for 5 k in bottom of box ?
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevin11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so I'm a bit lost as to wot to do with these to be honest as I know totaly zero about coins .... just wonderd if these where worth anything to the coin community so to speak .. thanks for the comments tho guys
Edited by Kevin11
11/19/2018 4:58 pm
Learn More...
United States
87921 Posts
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevin11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
many thanks
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kevin11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
had a closer look at 2017 one and appears to have a c mint mark ....canada .....i believe ...
Edited by Kevin11
11/19/2018 5:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48991 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not London as stated originally?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21001 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Larger photos would help.
Valued Member
Canada
379 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
had a closer look at 2017 one and appears to have a c mint mark ....canada .....i believe ...

1917... not 2017

The Canadian 1917 Sovereign is not rare but like most Canadian Sovereigns carry a nice premium in the higher grades. Canada's contribution to Benedetto Pistrucci's masterpiece ran from 1908 through 1919. All carried the "C" mintmark but were correctly alloyed (22K 91.7% gold/8.3%copper) and the correct size & weight. Unlike the Australian mints, the Canadian mint in Ottawa never minted half sovereigns.

The most common is the 1911 with just over a quarter million minted whereas the 1908 only had 636 minted, in specimen quality. Where the 1917 London Sovereign is rare, the 1916 Canadian Sovereign is extremely rare. Although just over 6,000 were minted, there are only around 50 known (source: Charlton). There are rumours and theories regarding their whereabouts including being lost at sea in 1916 during a transfer to the UK during World War I or like the 1916 London mintage, left in the back corner of a bank vault awaiting some future exposure to the light of day. Whatever the reason, the 1916 Canadian Sovereign will set you back thousands of Dollars/Pounds, even in a low grade.

Of interest, the Canadian mint just released a pair of proof homage NCLT to the 1908 Sovereign noting the 110th anniversary of the initial release. A coin with the face value of $20 which is a gold plated silver ounce and a $200 face value gold ounce. Neither of which are authentic in size, alloy, weight but do have both the George & the Dragon Reverse and Edward VII on the obverse. Of course The Royal Mint releases both proof and uncirculated versions of the "real" thing annually these days.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 811Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05