Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 nickel.. Is it rare for DD to be on both obverse and reverse?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  11:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Storagequeen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am almost certain I have found a DD on both the obverse and reverse... But I am also second guessing myself..I am NOT an expert! At one angle I clearly see DD.. I blink my eyes to refocus to get a clear view and its gone! I did manage to get a few pics.. But am I really that lucky to find the DD on both sides? I need a more expert opinion! And if so should I send this in to be graded?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1655 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am no expert but the reverse shows to be MD, I'm not seeing any doubling on the obverse.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Storagequeen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm gonna try to add better pics! These are not what I thought I posted!
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Storagequeen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully these are better

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  01:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Storagequeen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Check the E out!? Damage or error?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24675 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD on the reverse,damage on the E. I see no doubling on obverse.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1572 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  07:22 am  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with John.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Storagequeen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh man!! I was so sure this time... So the 1970? The 0 is what convinced me...But Ok thanks guys!
Edited by Storagequeen
11/20/2018 09:48 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30206 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit of MD is all I see. Keep looking!

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2967 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  11:15 am  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To speak to your question...it is not especially rare for a Doubled Die to show on both sides of a coin. Here is a list I compiled recently:

https://adventuresincrh.blogspot.co...list-of.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
7341 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling, not a doubled die...devices reduced in size with shelflike doubling.

to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24675 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very useful link Pete
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2967 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very useful link Pete

Thank you John1!
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Storagequeen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes thanks for the info.. I didnt realize there was a difference! I was under the impression DD was basically double stamped...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2967 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  09:32 am  Show Profile   Check Pete2226's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I didnt realize there was a difference! I was under the impression DD was basically double stamped...

This is a common misconception. Here is an excellent resource:

http://doubleddie.com/58222.html
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05