Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some changes in the Haxby 1859 Catalog

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  06:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There are some changes in Dr. Haxby's 1859 Catalog due to a couple of discoveries.

First, Obverse Die 16a has been found to be the early state of Obverse Die 31a.

Second, Reverse Die G2 was paired first with Obverse die 31a and then with Obverse Die 31. This is the opposite of what was previously believed.

The new updated Catalog and Die numbers are listed on the most recent update (11-20-2018) on the News Page in the Catalog. These changes will move the affected dies into the proper order.

One die pair affected by the changes is the coin known as DP9 #5. It will now be Haxby catalog # 31a5 instead of the old # 31a4.

Happy hunting 59er's! We hope these changes will be a help to you.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Thankfully I don't have to renumber mine
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Renumbering can be fun, CoinBuffalo. It gives me a chance to get my coins out and look at them again.

I noticed you were sharpening your attributing skills on gidjit's thread. Hope you will jump into collecting the 1859's by die pairs. It's a challenging but fun pursuit.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I just have one I got a few days ago. It'd be just my luck to have to renumber it already I'm not sure how I'll go about collecting them, but I definitely see more '59s in my future
Valued Member
Canada
246 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  01:24 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update. I'll have to recheck all the earlier changes also. Unlike CoinBuffalo, in this case, I'm happy to renumber. It means you're lucky enough to own a DP #5 !

Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That one is a real beauty TerryT! Congrats on finding such a nice 31a5.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! God bless.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05