Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2018 Armistice Toonies Circulating

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canada
48 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  6:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PennyBox to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The release of this coin has been a mystery for me and many others.
It appears the mint has made a mint by holding back on the release of this coin into circulation.
But alas I got a E-mail from my daughter in Calgary letting me know that she got two of them in change yesterday.
So looks like they may now be in circulation.
Now we just need the couriers to get them out to the business's.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
624 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. It's time to "roll"...
"B'eh....B'eh....B'eh...."

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7540 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's no mystery, there are three or four threads on this forum about them already.
If you bother to check out the circulation find thread you'll see some have been found in circulation since about three weeks ago.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
48 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennyBox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your comment DBM. I had looked at a few of the threads you refer to but obviously did not pay enough attention to the contents. I thought most of them were referring to the special wrap toonies and the coin exchanges. Did not see much discussion on people "finding these in circulation" like the mint has been advertising for the last few weeks. In the future will search more before posting new.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
9618 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"finding these in circulation"

Check this out:

http://goccf.com/t/122272&whichpage=77#2838051
Valued Member
Canada
99 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rusty_f to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rarely ask about coins at the bank, but today I was in my CIBC in Saskatoon on other business and I asked about these. The teller told me that quite a few people had been asking about them, but there hadn't been a single coin show up yet at that branch. Doesn't sound good!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will have to get one!
*Complete Canada 50 cent set 1953-present
*Complete Canada Toonie ($2) set 1996-present
*And just a mix of everything else!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2018  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just bought the coloured and non coloured versions on the Bay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4669 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2018  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got them today, quite sharp!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7540 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got two regular shrink-wrapped rolls from my local RBC last week.
Opened one up today to pick out singles.
Imagine my disappointment when I found all 25 were coloured.
The other roll has a coloured coin on the end and would like one intact roll.
Are there regular rolls with a mix of plain and coloured or do I now have to try and find two rolls roll with a plain coin on the end for face value in order to achieve my goal?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canada67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM, the shrink wrapped rolls so far have either been all coloured or all non coloured coins. The special wrapped rolls sold by the RCM have a combination of coloured and non coloured toonies. Unfortunately I believe the Mint is sold out of them.
Canada
48 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennyBox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I concur with Canada67. Apparently there were more colored Armistice coins made for circulation (2 million) than non colored (1 million). Therefore it would seem it might be harder to find the non colored in circulation.
Have not seen any in my purchasing circle in Edmonton yet.
Canada
48 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennyBox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the mystery behind the release of these coins has me thinking as to the logistics of how they were minted. If the mint was running two lines of production, one for colored and the other non colored, they would then have to mix the output from each line to make up enough rolls for their "special wrap" stock. The remaining coins could then be rolled into boxes containing either all colored or all non colored.
If this is the scenario would this mean that the "special wrap" coins would be of a better quality to the circulating coins?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4322 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since we know there are original mint rolls of each types shrink wrapped, logic will say the ink padded colour versions were added after the striking process, I almost sure there wasn't two lines and unfortunately we were duped into purchasing the special wrapper version. In last years 150 GITD toonies the only way to get the colour version was in the paper wrapped rolls while this poppy toonie the RCM created a poly colour, poly non colour, and the mix special paper wrap. The coins in Winnipeg are struck at wicked high speeds into bulk bins, then I am only guessing will go to the pad inking process, so the quality of the coin will depend mostly on luck of a new die and the press operator
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canada67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PennyBox and John100,
The reverse of the coloured vs non coloured armistice toonie are not identical. The non coloured coin features a raised metal poppy while the coloured poppy is "painted" on a flat surface of the coin. There are two distinct dies being used for the reverse of each of these coins.
Canada
48 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennyBox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guess we will never know the process that was carried out but for those who wish to obtain a roll of colored circulation and non colored it is going to be quite a challenge. If I understand how the mint is distributing these coins into circulation each box will only contain colored or non colored. If a bank or business orders a box from the courier they will either get all colored or non colored coins. Is this the way you see it.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05