Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fool Me Once, Shame On Me... (1888-CC Morgan Dollar)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,464Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  12:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Fool me twice, they must have been a drunk blind dog... LOL After taking a couple pictures, there are soooooo many ways this thing screams fake ya fool. I'm thinking it is made from brass and coated with ? I still find it an interesting piece, but wonder, just how the heck anyone, even a brand new rookie would think this was real. Whadyathunk?

Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Edited by NDBirdman
12/04/2018 12:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1956 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date/mm combination should be all you need.
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm debating on leaving it as is as only a drunk-blind man would think it real, or finding some small letter punches and stamp it with fake somewhere on the back.
Rookie with bad eyes, take what I say with a grain of salt and call an expert in the morning!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16522 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The question is, was it made to try and fool a collector, or to pass in circulation?
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. But the date and MM should definitely be a clear sign this is fake. Not sure if this is a contemporary counterfeit or a modern one.
Valued Member
United States
453 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure one of the folks here that collect contemporary counterfeits could tell you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bump, would love to know, contemp or modern fantasy piece.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20131 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need even a good looking fake. But I'm sure many people will be fooled and buy these things.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turingmach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Bump, would love to know, contemp or modern fantasy piece.

Not a contemporary counterfeit. Here's a comparison photo of your coin to a known 1888 modern Chinese counterfeit:
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool, thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2070 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Connor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my 1888 CC. It was in a lot of Morgan's I purchased over 10 years ago. Thankfully this was the only fake one in the lot. I have saved it and use it for educational purposes. Lesson learned...

Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, fakes are not a new problem - I got a nasty Seated Liberty quarter from a vendor at a coins show when I was just a kid. Learned my lesson young. But fakes are flooding the market these days along with counterfeit slabs and labels. This must put off a lot of new collectors and damge the hobby. It really hurts everyone, except the counterfeiters.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16522 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not a contemporary counterfeit. Here's a comparison photo of your coin to a known 1888 modern Chinese counterfeit:

That's that nailed it, modern fake.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Connor, your fake is alot nicer than my fake! Nice! (for a fake.... LOL) And bummer, I thought I had a one of a kind..hehe
Edited by NDBirdman
01/08/2019 12:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
700 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder101, is it a modern fake, or modern fantasy piece as this coin was never minted by the US goberment?
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,464Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05