Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fool me once, shame on me... (1888-CC Morgan Dollar)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  12:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Fool me twice, they must have been a drunk blind dog... LOL After taking a couple pictures, there are soooooo many ways this thing screams fake ya fool. I'm thinking it is made from brass and coated with ? I still find it an interesting piece, but wonder, just how the heck anyone, even a brand new rookie would think this was real. Whadyathunk?

Edited by NDBirdman
12/04/2018 12:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1637 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date/mm combination should be all you need.
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDBirdman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm debating on leaving it as is as only a drunk-blind man would think it real, or finding some small letter punches and stamp it with fake somewhere on the back.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14680 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The question is, was it made to try and fool a collector, or to pass in circulation?
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
7400 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. But the date and MM should definitely be a clear sign this is fake. Not sure if this is a contemporary counterfeit or a modern one.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srcliff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure one of the folks here that collect contemporary counterfeits could tell you.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05