Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What are collectors buying now?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  2:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vergasond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This questions has probably been asked thousands of times but I'll ask again. What are collectors buying now? I have tried to buy all silver coins issued by the US Mint every year (can't afford gold). I have quite a few coins and have never done an inventory, waiting until I'm retired and can spend time to do this. Should I be looking at other affordable coins or continue what I have been doing?
Thanks for all your input.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9377 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collectors buy what they like and what they can afford . Buying unc. and proof silver is ok if that's what your into .But their collector coins and they have a huge price tag .If you just want to accumulate silver then go for the 90% junk coins for a fraction of what the mint gets .
Do yourself a favor and don't wait until you retire to have an inventory of your collection . You never know when your number is up and your family has no idea what you have or their value .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vergasond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks T-BOP you're probably right I didn't think about sudden mishaps. I'll start an inventory, just takes so much time, anyone know of an easier way?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Japan
505 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Half to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am working on mine in phases. lol

Phase 1 - As I buy a coin I will get a basic ID, weight, measurement, purchase price and put that info on the holder. (N/A for sets)

Phase 2 - Photograph and figure out a naming scheme for my pictures. (still working on this part)

Phase 3- Put in permanent holders with all applicable information.

Same theory for all the things I got before I started record keeping. lol Just a little at a time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17190 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is always a good thing to have records of what you have, where it's kept, etc. When my Dad passed away, no one was there except neighbors that sort of raided the place. I never did know what they took. Sure wish he had some kind of records of what he had.
just carl
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vergasond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to thank all of you for your posts. I certainly will start working on my collection, most is known by my significant other as to location but she has no idea of what's there. Guess I need to get busy!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14861 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-BOP nailed it.
There is no easy way to log everything especially going back in time, you just have to do the work.
For years I used a code system on the back of my 2x2's. Pick a word that has 10 different letters or make up a word that you will remember and no one else can figure out. Use the first letter for 1 and the last letter for 0 instead of 10. You can come up with a code that includes price and date you bought the coin using those letters. Be creative as many dealers out there mark their holders this way. It allows them to sit a show and look at the back of the holder without sifting through sheets of paper to see what they can sell an item for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1295 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As a dealer, I can say that I am seeing more selling than buying. However; we are seeing a renewed interest in Cents of all types, with some old time collectors upgrading their collections. Merc's and Washington quarters are doing well, Franklins are steady as they can be assembled for a reasonable price in MS. I"m seeing SOME sets of modern circ dollars being built up. I have a few customers that are assembling a "full set" of post 99 quarters, to include (those intended for) circulation, proof, satin, San Francisco issues, and silver proof. For some years you need a total of 20 coins per year. Slabbed coins are doing well with all the fakes out there.

Now what I see for a good buy right now are WLH's and Peace dollars. Prices are way down. SLQ's are doing a steady business. Barbers are steady, Buffs are doing rather well right now as well.

I'm also seeing a rise in interest in classic coins, capped, seated, barber, ect. And of course large cents are very solid.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few months back I attended the annual fall PAN show in Pittsburgh, PA as I do every year. Something I witnessed first hand were the sales of colorized coins and medals. One in particular was a Jurrasic Park issue, commemorating the film I am guessing. To my amazement while standing at the corner of the dealers barouse two were sold within minutes of each other. While these comic book themed "coins" aren't exactly my thing they are still beautiful in their own right. Any how, not long after the young man in his early twenties had walked away with his "prize", I overheard a rather rude comment from two older men not far away. What they had not stopped to realize was how these types of coins and medals attracting both young and new collectors may lead to collecting of other coins. Like Morgan dollars, Liberty Halves or Standing Liberty quarters. Had the young man overheard them then who's to say that they hadn't crushed his dream? Haven't we heard time and again of how the hobby is dying?

Adding to TBOP's reply on checking your inventory sooner rather than later. What I have done was to explain how buying and selling works with my benefactor. If they decide to sell, keep in mind that the buyer is most likely looking to resell for a profit. What I do is I look up the average price of what said coin/coins are selling for on average. Say, $100. The dealer is likely to lowball you at fifty on the initial offer in the hopes you are uneducated. If you are not and you counter, expect around $75. Remember, they need to catalog and store it before reselling. As for when I buy, I strive to be 15-20 percent below the going average price. It takes patience and time but pays off down the road.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05