Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

5 Dollars 1977 Jamaica - Matte finish value

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  9:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vb3347 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have what appears to be a 5 Dollar 1977 Jamaica coin in the very rare matte finish, only 56 minted according to Krause. So my questions are:

1) Is it really a matte finish or just a regular uncirculated? Looks to be matte (appearance is silky), but I'm far from an expert and don't have much experience with this particular series.

2) What would the approximate value be on this coin? I've searched a bit but haven't found a comparable matte finish coin of any year in this denomination.

Also, any other comments or additional information regarding this coin are appreciated.

Edited by vb3347
12/05/2018 9:27 pm
Valued Member
Australia
269 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Usally proofs, are mirror surface proofs (BU), are they more valuable when they are matted well depends on demand no demand then price aint going to be different from intrinsic value just like with any other coin. no matter how rare.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24675 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it is in a 2x2 holder? If so,please remove before taking photos.
Even the special unc is a low mintage. I found this for an idea on value https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_so...256&_fosrp=1
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
12/06/2018 07:40 am
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VickySilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I know this series well and am an avid FM collector.

This is indeed a matte unc. (NGC now usually refers to these as matte proofs).

Good news, bad news!
Good - very scarce on the ground (rare)
Bad - no silver content, not much demand

Value: hard to peg. Anywhere between 20 and 200 USD is best guess.
I bought about 3 years ago the 10 dollar in matte for 1975 and 1977 years for about 12 USD each!

IMO, these were not saved or respected at all first because they were FM origin and secondly because they were rather large with essentially NO metal value intrinsically.
Please feel free to PM me if you have questions; also, I would always be interested in such a coin (well, until I get one!)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14811 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VickySilver, welcome to CCF. Spot on answer to the OP's question.
Valued Member
United States
230 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vb3347 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VickySilver, thank you very much for the useful information and confirming that it is indeed matte. Unless it was really valuable or the right offer came along, I'd rather just keep the coin, it fits in nicely with my other modern world crown-size coins.
Edited by vb3347
12/06/2018 1:20 pm
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VickySilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both.

I am very envious of your acquisition! I might add that it is much more nicely preserved than the two ten dollar pieces I mentioned (which graded 64 and 63 at NGC).
The FM have some fascinating coins which include rare and obscure as well as beautiful.
I just bought the die set for the 1985FM Panama 20 Balboas gold.
Learn More...
United States
63411 Posts
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add VickySilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, JB! I look forward to reading and contributing and will get off my lazy behind and figure out how to post pictures....
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3118 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vicky

Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6080 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ VickySilver

To the Forum.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05