Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Florida Toned - new ebay term for damaged coins?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1634 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  10:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Looks like someone is trying to make lemonade.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Florida-To...302986588856

Seller has 166 coins like this...
Remember, what the Dormouse said.
Edited by nfine
12/07/2018 10:21 am
Learn More...
United States
63411 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14810 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People will try anything to make a buck.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19590 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How were they damaged?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14677 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I store my proof and mint sets in a garage in Central Florida. Due to the high humidity and temperatures, coins stored in this manner tone much faster than coins stored at room temperature.

Translation "I store my coins in such a way that they quickly become environmentally damaged."

Quote:
How to spot artificial toning

Look at my auctions.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1634 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How were they damaged?

Improper storage in Florida? Perhaps our definitions of damage differ.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19590 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well where do you draw the line?

If I leave coin on my window sill and it tones is it now damaged?

If I leave coin in my car and it tones is it now damaged?

If I leave coin on my kitchen table and it tones is it now damaged?

If I leave coin in my pocket and it tones is it now damaged?

Who decides?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1634 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who decides?

Sounds like it shouldn't be me. Apologies for sharing my opinion.
Edited by nfine
12/07/2018 1:51 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19590 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not allowed mine?

My point is calling toned coins damaged is a slippery slope.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the coins are not damaged, at least not as defined as a TPG. Toning is a debatable subject what constitutes artificial toning or attractive toning is a very subjective determination.

These coins aren't blowtorched or dipped in AT solution so they seem natural enough to me.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nemlas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will stay out of the damaged or not issue BUT the coins he has for sale are BUTT ugly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1634 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's your world bobby. Let's just agree to disagree.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19590 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I won't express my opinion is any of your topics again. It obviously upsets you.
Learn More...
United States
63411 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said in another topic, toning is damage from a technical point of view.

However, we usually avoid calling it damage because of the negative connotations. Of course, this has never stopped those who dislike toning from saying it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8441 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  12:02 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a beauty!

Quote:
I store my proof and mint sets in a garage in Central Florida. Due to the high humidity and temperatures, coins stored in this manner tone much faster than coins stored at room temperature.

I think most of us would agree those are unacceptable storage conditions for a coin collection.

Quote:
toning is damage from a technical point of view.

I agree. I happen to really like those post-Mint chemical reactions when the results appeal to my eye. However, the overwhelming majority of this seller's "Florida Toned" coins are downright ugly in my opinion.
Congratulations to our "carmine-hosed Boston warriors"! 2018 World Champions

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
12/08/2018 12:03 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15324 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With toned coins the source of the toning is irrelevant. People have driven themselves insane for decades debating it. The only thing that makes a coin is market acceptability. A coin either is or it isn't. It's really that simple. Clearly, this coin is NOT market acceptable.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05