Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 Canada One Cent - Error Coin?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2018  8:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JayJay1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am new to coin collections and recently inherited a coin collection. I found a 1936 Canadian Penny (no dot) however,I believe it may be an error coin?

It is rather thin in its width and has no outer ridge around the circumference of the penny. Its also somewhat concaved outward to the head side of the coin. The head side is also blurred, while the other side is quite detailed.

Any advice comments are appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4301 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2018  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight would help ?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
649 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2018  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks like an acid-dipped coin...mushy king, smaller diameter, etc.
So no, unfortunately not an error.

http://www.error-ref.com/acid-shrunk-coins/
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JayJay1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks johnnysprawl...i wasn't aware of acid dipped coins.

Based on the pictures of acid dipped coins I note that both sides of the coin become blurred, and the outter edges become rounded...my coin only has one side blurred and the outter edge of my coin still has sharper less rounded edges...it is also concaved and I suspect quite light in weight (still need to weigh it).

it was my fathers coin, he likely had this coin in a box (along with many other very interesting coins) since the 1940's (after his WW2 service) ...having said that, was acid dipping coins predominant in the 1940's or early. My father did have a keen eye for oddities, so I see why he may have kept this coin in his collection.
Edited by JayJay1
12/12/2018 07:22 am
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JayJay1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photo of my fathers entire Canadian coin collection...

Learn More...
Canada
8462 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see some Newfoundland coins in that small collection.

Oh yeah, and to CCF!
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
United States
71927 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
327 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check other posts on this site about acid-dipped coins. It's always a detective case. I have the exact kind of coin as yours. I had trouble figuring out why one side is less eroded, and how the rim eroded faster than the rest of the details.

If you place a coin in a flat bottom container and cover with acid, you'll see more bubbles coming from the top than from underneath. It's still working underneath but the acid under doesn't escape and bring in new acid as well as the top side.
There will also be more bubbles coming from the rim than the rest, due to the lower pressure used making the rim, compared to the striking pressure. The more the metal is compressed, the slower it will erode.
Canada
9 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2018  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JayJay1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Terry, I appreciate your info/advice.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05