Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Dollars From My Dad - Anything Worth Grading?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  2:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dapman04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thanks in advance for any help - my dad gave me this small grouping of silver dollars this weekend. I would love to have some graded coins, but have no idea if any of these would be worth it. Would love to hear from the community if any of these are worth the expense.

In order:

1896 O
1921 D

Thanks again!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2917 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on their availability and their condition I would suggest not getting these graded. The cost out weighs the value of the coins. Nice grouping though! Congrats!
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2917 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and oh by the way...

ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44666 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you show us close-ups of the 1896-O, please.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8715 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Coinfrog. It looks a bit suspect. Better pics of the '96-O will help.

Nice set of silver dollars, although not worth grading.
Edited by SilverDollar2017
12/16/2018 3:35 pm
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dapman04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! As requested....

Pillar of the Community
United States
3416 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although the 96-O is a better date, it appears that your example has been heavily cleaned/polished at one time. The cost of grading any of your coins likely outweighs the value.

Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it just the lighting or was the 1896 O cleaned between the original photo and the latest one?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44666 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the larger pic. Seems to be EF or so and possibly polished at some point, so not worth submitting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2196 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to The Coin Community! It may seem a bit disappointing to you that none of these are worthy of being graded but the best part is that they were given to you by your Dad. That adds a special value that will become more and more important to you as years go on. My Mom was not a collector but somehow had a Morgan in her jewelry box and gave it to me when I was a teenager. Many years later she has passed and that coin has become so valuable to me. Enjoy what you've received.
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dapman04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks so much - I have others that he's given me in the past. If you guys don't mind I'll dig them out and get your opinion.

Also.....I didn't clean any of the coins between pictures. They are exactly as I received them.

Thanks again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
609 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Graded coins will always bring more in the market place. However, the consensus here is correct. The cost would negate the price. But that's not saying it wouldn't in the long term, say ten years, or if there were a sudden surge in collectability. These are always in demand.
Learn More...
United States
82222 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2518 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
save your money, and buy a book on grading.
Much better investment
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18913 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. As the others have mentioned, none of those would justify the cost of getting them slabbed.
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matt242 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to The Coin Community! It may seem a bit disappointing to you that none of these are worthy of being graded but the best part is that they were given to you by your Dad. That adds a special value that will become more and more important to you as years go on. My Mom was not a collector but somehow had a Morgan in her jewelry box and gave it to me when I was a teenager. Many years later she has passed and that coin has become so valuable to me. Enjoy what you've received.

Couldn't agree more. Some of my most cherished coins are from the Wheat Cents my grandfather gave me long ago (all are common). And the two prescription bottle tubes filled with silver quarters my Dad gave me, also all common and worth only melt. But I love them and they are treated better than most my other coins.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05