Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

By Chance, I Scored A Rare Theodosius I

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
485 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  08:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just finished attributing these two Pick Ups. The first was being offered as Theodosius II, however, I found it to be the coin below - a Rare one indeed. Found no examples on Vcoins.

Theodosius I. AE3. 378-383 AD.
Obv. DN THEODO-SIVS PF AVG, rosette-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
Rev: CONCOR-DIA AVGGG, Constantinopolis, helmeted, seated facing, head right, right leg bare, holding globe and spear whose lower part is hidden by robe; upright palm branch in left field; I in lower right field; CONSA in ex.

RIC IX Constantinople 58. Rare (R3).

Theodosius I, AE2, 392-395
Obv. DN THEODO-SIVS PF AVG, Pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right
Rev. GLORIA-ROMANORVM, Emperor standing facing, head right, globe in left hand, standard in right. Mintmark SMNA.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4174 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good score. Congrats.
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking closely at the complex listings in RIC IX, I believe the Theodosius is RIC 57(e). On RIC 58, there is no prow beneath the foot of Constantinopolis. Officina A is unattested with branch and HN monogram. However, late Roman bronzes tend to be underrepresented in the collections surveyed for RIC.

Edited by Kushanshah
12/23/2018 2:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
22288 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2018  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find.
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2018  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone, special thanks to Kushanshah for the lesson. I must admit, I don't student RIC as closely as I should.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05