Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Re-entry Question For The Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1507 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  8:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
re-entry question. I was wondering if I found a re-entry on a coin. I can tell it is off almost a full letter. how should any member deal with that coin. I hope the members here can help me
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4194 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you explain a bit more please, not under standing what you are asking.
Please feel free to view my Gallery
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Pillar of the Community
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  03:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pls post a picture so we know what you are referring to. What's a "re-entry"?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6129 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only time I have seen "re-entry" used is in the space program.
Are you referring to a counterfeit coin?

If you wait, all that happens is you get older.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
569 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be the first to buy a "heat shield" coin Jimmy. Can you say PMD? .
In memory of those members who left us too soon...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1507 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thats for sure jimmy. took it to a dealer. he said rocky give me that, before they arrested you. I said why do they do that. think about its easy money for them. he said that hurts all of us collector. he said I will put that up on my shelf to teach others with. thank you all for your replies thanks jimmy. have a great one
Pillar of the Community
United States
1329 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think he means doubled die. A re-entry is stamp collecting terminology for a type of doubling.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1507 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tunnioc yes you are correct. but in the old days re-entry was a word used to describe. a new variety that was done. when the master die was at its end. so the mint created a new master to finish a run of coins. when that happen the the new master die had some small little different from the oringinal master. similiar to stamps. right now I am reading alot of older coin books. one of the books stated these young people. know a days always trying to change collecting language, it struck me quit funny. have a great one
Valued Member
Canada
279 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add castor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good evening

Here is the meaning.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2018  05:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that Hans needed to bone up a little on the preparation of dies. By his definition, EVERY die would would have been "re-entered". It took 2-3 times to both harden the original and anneal(soften) the receiving die component. It makes no difference whether you are talking about the master or the hub or the working die .. it couldn't be done in one shot. Is the OP trying to describe hub-doubling?
Learn More...
Canada
8258 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2018  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While Hans Zoell was meticulous, reading his works it is obvious that he did not understand the nuances with die creation, and strike variations from the deterioration of dies.

If this was done to the master die, then such features would be transferred to all the working dies.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05