Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Get Free Wrappers From Banks And Return Their CRH Coins Wrapped?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 6,127Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
38 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  2:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jflournoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I'm fairly new to CRH and I've searched my entire city for banks that have coin machines for members. Believe it or not, only 1 credit union has a self-serving machine that is completely free to members.

Other credit unions charge their members 2%-5%.

I also bank with Chase and they informed me that they give out free wrappers to members so I'm thinking about one week using the free coin machine, then the next week taking wrapped coins to chase, and alternating that way.

I roughly have been getting 4-6 boxes of coins per week for the last month so I don't want to abuse my ONLY FREE coin machine by dumping that many boxes in it every week.

What do you all think? What's your strategy?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8076 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do 4-6 penny boxes and a box of halves every week. If you re-roll as you go it's not too much of a hassle. No banks near me have counting machines.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jflournoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I do 4-6 penny boxes and a box of halves every week. If you re-roll as you go it's not too much of a hassle. No banks near me have counting machines.

Yeah I did that with the last 2 boxes of half dollars I did, just carefully unwrap and rewrap them.

I've found it a little more time consuming to do that with nickels and dimes vs just cracking them open.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37194 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I go through about one box of cents per week. In my area,when you ask for free wrappers they give you 10-15 at a time. So what I do is buy two boxes of cent wrappers from COSTCO. I wrap them and turn them in at my dump bank.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
12/31/2018 4:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17890 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bank gives me pre printed clip lock polyethylene bags, if I ask for them,
just as if I was a commercial customer bringing in the cash daily takings from my shop.

I count the coins into the bags, and the bank just check weighs the bags. All hunky-dory after that.

The plastic bags are then recyclable to the next customer as required.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1904 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Had a bank with a no fee machine for customers. Back then I was searching as many nickels as I could get my hands (sometimes 10-15 boxes or so or the equivalent amount of rolls per week). A couple of months after I started using the machine, they removed it. (Probably wouldn't have happened if it were quarters I was dumping) Another bank I was getting boxes from (which I didn't even have a account with) would permit me to exchange my searched boxes for "fresh" ones. I eventually opened up an account with them since they were more than friendly & had 3 branches close to me which all allowed me to swap out boxes of nickels. As for wrappers, I bought a box of Ebay just once. I made it a habit of grabbing some at any bank I stopped at & had friends & relatives do it also. One of them was even getting wrappers by the box from the bank for me. I was pretty lucky in that respect.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3273 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah I did that with the last 2 boxes of half dollars I did, just carefully unwrap and rewrap them

not much mystery for the next person, who says, I think these have already been searched..
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2019  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm CRHing quarters. My primary dump bank runs them through a machine for me. My secondary dump bank told me they would have to check every roll I brought in. That's crazy so now I pick up coins from them instead of dumping coins.
Valued Member
424 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2019  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJLang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Credit Union will hand me free rolls when asked.
I rerolled some quarters to exchange and got back some I already checked.
I then started writing on the rolls ( N.J.) being I live in New Jersey so I could tell on sight.
The bank asked me to just drop them in the free coinstar like machine instead.
So that is what I do now.
I am known to the tellers as the quarter guy. And I always ask for the odd old or different.
I have them all saving fun stuff for me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
772 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2019  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Asking for free wrappers is another reason for banks to stop servicing coin roll hunters. Wrappers cost them money too, just like everything else. I don't even keep the boxes most of the time. My main bank likes to reuse them so I swap boxes with them every week. As for wrappers, you can get a thousand wrappers on eBay or Amazon for like $10.

I use a coin machine to turn mine in. I only turn in once every one to two weeks and I only turn in $150 max. I only go through 1 to 3 boxes of cents and maybe a box of nickels during that time however.
Pillar of the Community
United States
846 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2019  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very easy to get wrappers- just ask. I've had frequent dump banks give me full boxes of wrappers before- without me even asking for them. I grab some almost every time I go to a branch, they add up quickly.
Valued Member
424 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2019  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TJLang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also saw big bags of wrappers in the dollar store the other day.
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buizel10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just buy a box of wrappers, they're especially cheap in the US. I got a box of 1000 nickel wrappers for $4.18 on Amazon, regular price $5.99.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4110 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a setup where I'd return $500 bags of loose dimes or halves directly to the vault teller, I actually helped carry the bags into the vault, and received my cash immediately. I never counted the coin, never heard back negative. Did it for about three years straight.

Sometimes the tellers have to count the contents of the rolls again.
You want to make it easy on both of you.
Having to roll/return more than a box per week would spoil any fun of the hobby for me.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add malgal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bank will not take wrapped coins. They have to be dumped in machine counter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4110 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My bank will not take wrapped coins. They have to be dumped in machine counter.
It's been the norm for years. Banks + cash = hassle.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 6,127Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05