Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions Please: Pupienus Sestertius, Real or Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  02:01 am Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Opinions Please: Pupienus Sestertius, Real or Fake?
32 mm, 16.74 grams.
I don't like the scrapping around the figure the bright copper under the patina. Anyone have any opinion? I'd sure appreciate it. Any matching dies that anyone who collects this emperor you might have seen?

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  03:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lehmansterms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't say I like it all that much, but aside from the ham-handed cleaning and "strengthening" of the obverse legend, I have seen worse. I don't have any great problem with its authenticity - just that it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
I tried to post a photo, but I just registered, it's late, and I'll figure out how photo posting works another time - in the meantime, you can view a piece only slightly less heinous - Pupienus is not one of the easier emperors whose nice sestertii are easy to find at bargain prices - you can see the single specimen in my collection (it happens to be the same type, even) here:
OK then, I guess I can post photos, just need to remember the old commands. You can view it in all its glory on my website/gallery here: http://www.stoa.org/gallery/album10..._sest?full=1
Learn More...
United States
64960 Posts
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lehmansterms;

Thanks! To its credit, in respect to my coin, the letters at one o'clock of the head have a struck sharp look and the encrustation in them, plus the encrustation in the indent on the edge would be hard to create artificially. Adding your coin really helps strengthen this position as the ore that made the bronze seems to have a consistent green patina it creates across the two coins and the bronze itself that is exposed has the same look to it. So I must thank you for posting that photo. I guess I just did not expect to see this emperor's sestertius in this lot I am going through. Thanks again! (I'll rate the coin "good to fine" by the way.)
Edited by louisvillekyshop
01/02/2019 1:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2934 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mssr "lehmansterms" (aka Mark) you old fossil !
So good to see you here !
Long ago when I was a but a 'Jute' in college (1980) I made acquaintance with Mark
In fact when I have often lamented here about the VF/EF Constantinian AE's I once bought for 2 or 3 dollars apiece then later discarded .......
Well Mssr Mark was the beneficiary
I sold them for around $5 each and thought I was getting the better of the deal ...... hah
So who's laughing now !

Anyhow ......
While we are doing the show and tell thing I have this "puppy" that I acquired not too long ago
While at first I was perplexed about authenticity I have since come to regard it as genuine
Somewhat damaged ..... but genuine
And what can I say ..... the price was right
The edges (not shown) show some signs of 'rasp' marks and the coin appears to have been mounted at some point
But why anyone would want to mount this fellow is really beyond me

Emperor Pupienus Sestertius
15.42 grams 28-30mm
Rv. CONCORDIA AVGG
Concordia Seated S C below

After receiving the coin I checked with the great google to determine the proper pronunciation of this unfortunate fellow
While English favors the "pew" pronunciation
I found that Spanish French Italian etc .......
All of them varied between 'Puppy' and 'poopy'
Add the second syllable and this unfortunate emperor has an equally unfortunate name
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2019  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lehmansterms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Germy", you're right on with that! - the material I bought from you and your brother, with the exception of a few items which were either considered "supernumerary" at a time I needed money or the very few which have been upgraded, all tend to be the sort of items which, when I look at my collection, I say - "darn! why can't I find stuff of this quality at reasonable prices any longer?" Memories of the SHN meetings are still clear when little else of details from that era sticks.
For that matter, I recall purchases running into the 4 figures - but for multiple line boxes full of goodies - lucky for all involved that I happened to have some disposable income at the time. These days, not so much. But it's also at the point where anything I "need" to fill holes is generally not there because there simply is no possible "bargain" supply - those are the holes which are very likely to remain empty barring unusual happentance. So I pick up what I can find that's at least approaching underpriced, and I do a lot more with 3rd & 4th century material than I do with 12 Caesars, early sestertii, etc. With the exception of non-assertive accumulation, when I run into them, of specimens of the more obscure, seldom-seen Constantinian- and Valentinian/Theodosian-era types and variants, I mostly buy to have stuff to offer for sale on our little Sunday live auctions - and because it's hard to let a bargain go by, even if it's something I already have in depth.
It's good to bump into you from time to time as we seem to manage to do. I know you're only over in Worcester and it's not all that far from Chicopee - just a couple exits away on the Mass Pike and exit 5 is less than a mile from my place - but the present circumstances have their own positives, too, I suppose. I really don't get around all that much anymore and I'm pretty comfortable in my semi-sessile state.
I do wonder, occasionally, what became of a few of the others of the small and motley crew of ancients mavens we used to hang with - egads! that was all 40 years ago now - I suppose not many of them are still around at all.
Ah well, ancients are sort of like astronomy as a pursuit that way - they help keep you humble when you consider their great longevity and vast scope compared to our tiny and fleeting existences.
I suppose I should try to get some sleep at this hour. I will try to drop by this forum occasionally - I am a somewhat infrequent contributor on the Coin Talk forum too these days, but mainly the daily traffic from the half dozen or so active fb groups I follow is plenty to keep me occupied between periodic piecework gigs cataloging for a few customers. Oh, and there's always the grandkids, too.
Happy 2019! We can at least hope things will tend towards less chaos and insanity than that which has marked '16, '17 & '18 - I'm not making any bets, however.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05