Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which US Classic Coin Series Are Dead? (Or On Life Support?)

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3668 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  11:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Saw this topic on another forum and revised it a bit.

Criteria could be;

1) Difficultly selling at or near wholesale prices

2) Non-existent (or very little) collector interest in the series in its entirety

3) Certain, choice coins or key dates may have demand, but bulk of series does not

Your thoughts?

Edited by Joe2007
01/02/2019 11:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12007 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three Cent nickels, most classic commems if they don't have wild color or top grades, 2 cent, Shield/ Liberty nickels
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15440 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2019  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BLP Indian Head Half Eagles.
All are common, except for the unobtainables:- (1090D, 1911S). The prices are high for the common ones, simply because they are gold.

And I just love 'em, for the unique design !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10838 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2019  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three Cent Nickels , then Three Cent silver's .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4036 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2019  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
half dimes don't have a large following.
In part I suspect it's because of their small size.
They don't grab the eye because of the apparent lack of impressive details.
And they may be small but they are pricey.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8679 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2019  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Three Cent nickels, most classic commems if they don't have wild color or top grades, 2 cent, Shield/ Liberty nickels

Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
4408 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trade dollars with the reasons being:

Many counterfeits exist and the average collector may have trouble telling good from bad

Expensive compared to the later silver dollars i.e. Morgan and Peace

After reading some of the ones mentioned above a thought came to mind regarding books and dying/dead coin series:

When there are few reference books on a coin series; or the books are more expensive than the coins themselves;
Books that are either 1. essentially a date/mint mark listing with outdated values and lack insightful info OR 2. Way too technical and difficult to comprehend.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned Seated dollars. There is such a huge price discrepancy between original slds and cleaned/market acceptable slds that the price guides need to start accounting for this and post the price differences between the two.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with most answers except the 3 cent silvers.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3264 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2019  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shield nickels. Boring design, little interest in the series.
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll go with the two-cent. Although it was introduced to serve a legitimate purpose at the time, it was highly unwanted. Still is for the majority of us. Factor in the less than appealing design elements, a shield and wreath on one side, a wreath and denomination on the other. Which is the obverse and which is the reverse? Confusing to the non-collector.

As for the prices, they seem to match the appeal. Even the key dates are relatively cheap compared to the Three Cents mentioned.

Still, I have four of these in my collection as well as several Three Cents.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3444 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three Cent nickels are my favorites - guess I will wait for the market to flood so I purchase more at a good price!
Mistakes are painful when they happen, but years later a collection of mistakes is what is called experience. - Denis Waitley

I have a lot of experience - CoinsKelly
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I might take some heat for this one but v-nickels just came to mind.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12007 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I might take some heat for this one but v-nickels just came to mind.

With the exception of war nickels, nickles in general are very likely the least popular long running denomination
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16842 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shield nickels. Only those that need it for a type set seem to be in the market.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
683 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
. With the exception of war nickels, nickles in general are very likely the least popular long running denomination

Its the same here up north. Obviously there is some collector base, but seems never as much as the copper and silver stuff.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05