Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Start Collecting Sales Tax

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1789 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
basebal21 said...

Quote:
You don't have to do anything...

Thanks for the reply! I'll be crawling back under my rock now.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
2372 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So Montana has no sales tax on any goods or food. What the price is on the shelf is the price you pay at the register. Unless you live in one of 3 resort towns that have a Resort tax. Having said that does this mean I will not be charged tax to eBay purchases that are shipped to my Montana address?
Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would be correct.

I live in SC and numismatic items are tax exempt here. I have never paid tax on my eBay coin purchases.
Pillar of the Community
United States
816 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't make any sense to me that one can just ship everything to a relative in another state and end up paying zero sales tax
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  02:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Doesn't make any sense to me that one can just ship everything to a relative in another state and end up paying zero sales tax

Only if they live in a state that doesn't tax it and is all honesty doing it that way is almost always more expensive and not worth the hassle. Assuming you don't like 20 minutes away from each other close to a neighboring boarder state you are taking much more of a risk doing that.

You have to trust that they won't just keep it since only expensive items are worth even bothering to try it, then you have to pay them to ship it to you which is likely going to cost more than you saved in the first place. It'll also take a lot longer to get it and as soon as it get's to them you lose any protection you would have had from the venue it was purchased.

To make a long story short, I wouldn't do it if for no other reason it often costs more and has more risk
Pillar of the Community
United States
2372 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  03:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Like I said I live in a state with no sales tax and besides my adult children I have no other relatives that live in state. I have never been asked to have something shipped here to avoid taxes.

Like stated the cost of shipping it twice usually makes it more expensive. Plus the person who lives in or has property in the sales tax free state would have to pay for it using a card that was registered to their sales tax free address. To much of a pain to have to go through the hassle of transferring funds as well. Sometimes there are more fees involved with transferring money to pay someone.

Edit: As a side note, because we live in Montana an we are a sales tax free state, the state of Washington is also sales tax free for us to. In an effort to attract customers from nearby states Washington made a deal with Montana so we can get our sales tax back at the end of the year. If I am not mistaken Oregon residents can do this too. I am pretty sure Oregon has no sales tax...or at least it used to.

It used to be all we had to do was show our ID at the register and they would take off the tax. Now we have to save our receipts and if we have $25 or more in sales tax you can claim it and get a "tax return" from Washington State. We live so close to Spokane we have quite a bit saved up.
Edited by MontCollector
10/02/2019 03:28 am
Learn More...
United States
83971 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To make a long story short, I wouldn't do it if for no other reason it often costs more and has more risk
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  09:15 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been collecting Texas sales tax on eBay sales for many years. Starting this month, eBay no longer gives me the tax but keeps it themselves. I no longer have to keep track of it on eBay sales! That is about the only good thing for me with the new tax rules.

I still have to send in the $400+ I have collected this year on eBay sales.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the sales tax kicked in for California as of 10/01/2019. The Indian half eagle I just won at a good price had $33 tax added to my total. Not such a good price after all. This policy will seriously reduce my patronage of eBay. I'll just save up until I attend a coin show where coin purchases are usually tax-free.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This policy will seriously reduce my patronage of eBay. I'll just save up until I attend a coin show where coin purchases are usually tax-free.

I will never understand why so many people believe this. If you are paying taxes on eBay you are supposed to be paying them in person as well. Your state makes the laws for when the taxes are and good dealers follow that. If someone is not charging or remitting taxes at a show when they should be they're playing with fire. This isn't an eBay only tax. If there are exceptions for the state you live in try and plan purchases to fit that or use your eBay bucks to cover the tax etc.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10565 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  03:25 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

EBay fought this. I signed the petition,to no avail. Why the hard feelings against eBay?

It's a sale; it's sales tax. I've paid sales tax online much more frequently with Amazon than eBay to this point.
"Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee."
-Bender B. Rodriguez
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain
"Language is the source of misunderstandings."
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

EBay fought this. I signed the petition,to no avail. Why the hard feelings against eBay?

It's a sale; it's sales tax. I've paid sales tax online much more frequently with Amazon than eBay to this point.

Exactly, it's not like it's an eBay only tax. We pay sales tax on things every day unless you live in one of the 5 states without it. eBay had no choice but to start collecting it or no one would sell there having to do the work on their own.

If anything people should be upset with Amazon. Once they started getting taxed they basically wanted everyone else to as well and stopped fighting realizing the tax hurts their competition more
Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Me too!

Since I am a dealer with a business license and buy for resale, I do not have to pay Texas sales tax on those items I buy to re-sell. eBay has been charging me the tax when they ship to Minnesota where I spend summers. But no tax when they ship to Texas. Seems like if it is bought for re-sale, should not matter where it is shipped. They might quit charging me when they ship somewhere besides Texas - but I ain't holding my breath. If they don't fix that, I will either quit buying coins while I am up north or else have them shipped to my Texas address.

This has got to be hurting prices on eBay. Bidders wither stay away or bid less.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3371 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get a Minesota reseller permit.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2019  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since I am a dealer with a business license and buy for resale, I do not have to pay Texas sales tax on those items I buy to re-sell. eBay has been charging me the tax when they ship to Minnesota where I spend summers. But no tax when they ship to Texas. Seems like if it is bought for re-sale, should not matter where it is shipped.

By no means am I an ebay apologist, but it's such a complicated endeavor to figure out the tax laws everywhere there are bound to be glitches but it may actually not be a glitch as well.

I would check and see and given the hard stance MN took a bit back and see if that was right or not, but it very well could be right.
Edited by basebal21
10/28/2019 11:04 pm
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05