Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mystery Late Romans ID

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
435 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  11:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I assume these are late Roman, but I don' recognize the busts at all. Very unique to me. I can't find a match anywhere especially with the few clues left.

Coin 1

Coin2
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4091 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first one appears to be a 'ROMA' campgate issue of Valentinian III.
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somebody else suggested that as well. I'm just not seeing it. This is what's throwing me off - what is it?

Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi travelcoin-

One of my specialties is late Roman AE4s size 5mm to about 11mm so hopefully I can help. Two important factors in identifying these are size and weight.

Just from the pictures provided I am leaning toward barbarous on both at this time. Barbarous is not necessarily bad if you can identify which barbarians minted them. LOL. Size and weight will help.

Coin one- Elf ears on obverse. Size and weight might help on the reverse.

Coin two might be a "two victories" type reverse- hard to tell from the pic. The obverse portrait is quite detailed so if it is not barbarous, I am thinking Valentinian II, Theodosius, or Arcadius. The big eye and possible blundered legends look a bit barbarous to me-

Just my opinions

Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2019  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pendrak, thank you for taking a shot at this, I don't have the size and weight. I like trying to solve hard to identify Romans (just got two today and one was Arcadius). These two busts were completed "off", so yes they may be barbarous issues - very good hypothesis.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05