Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Know About This, Fake or Not ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Norway
2 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  6:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KarmaZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi I found a coin after my father, in he's house.. Anyone know if this is a real one, or not? Btw. I live in Norway, so probably it should be from nearly country I guess..

Thanks
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Size in mm? Weight if you have it. Thanks!
Norway
2 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KarmaZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
23mm...i dont have weight sorry
Valued Member
Netherlands
57 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hammer and sword. Hmm.. It looks like a runed version of this Northumbria st. peter silver penny (921-927 ad).

Edited by MetzKaj
01/05/2019 7:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3990 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to me like it has been cast. Does the edge show a seam?
Valued Member
Netherlands
57 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Info about this coin:

"The Vikings of York (Jorvik) issued their own distinctive coins. This coin Christian in character, commemorates St Peter, the patron of York's cathedral and is known as St. Peter Coinage. It also celebrates the traditional Norse gods with the hammer of Thor and sword design." - Source: http://dorchesters.com/vikings-at-y...eter-coinage

Such coins have been replicated, but I haven't found any looking like yours.
Edited by MetzKaj
01/05/2019 7:51 pm
Learn More...
United States
21952 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Not my area of collecting, but this one just doesn't look correct.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2189 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The letters do not look right for the time period. I suspect a copy.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14683 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin is suspiciously too evenly round for a genuine medieval hammered denar (or penny).
Learn More...
United States
64960 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05