Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identifying Roman Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  2:13 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EssexVintage to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Need an experts eye & opinion on this. Any information appreciated

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
22398 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

It's a denarius of Marcus Aurelius.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15545 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have my doubts bout this piece.
If you look closely at the edges, they appear to be double edges, suggesting each side of a casting mold. The image of the emperor looks a little 'mushy', and the surface looks to be bit pimply.

Does the coin seem to have a greasy feel about it?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1415 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like this...Ref wildwinds
Marcus Aurelius Denarius. AD 176-177. M ANTONINVS AVG GERM SARM, laureate head right / TR P XXXI IMP VIII COS III P P, Pax standing left, holding cornucopiae and setting fire to pile of arms. RSC 942.RIC 369

I'm not experienced enough to gauge authenticity but it does look soft...Paul
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EssexVintage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies!

@sel_69l
I wouldn't say it particularly has a 'greasy feel' about it, although I don't really know enough to know :)

@Palouche
I would say your pretty much spot on, seems to match perfectly. However, the texture of the coin in your photo looks significantly different to mine - am now wondering on the authenticity of the coin, especially as sel_691 raised the question aslo Although I have to say the texture/look & feel of my coin is very similar to many others I have seen that are legitimate, so hopefully we can establish whether its a fake or not. Many thanks

I have taken a couple of more pics of the coin, not so magnified and without a backing light on the camera as I have to say it looks quite different. Also I have tried to capture the sides of the coin.

Incidently the coin weighs 3.1grams, again I dont know if this might help determine it's authenticity.

Thanks again

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05