Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

India - Bundi Rupee - Date Error - Transposed Numerals

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  06:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello folks:

Please see pics of this very nice error coin that I have come across. It is as under:

Indian Princely State - Bundi - Rupee in the name of Ram Singh, Silver, with the name of Queen Victoria AD 1858; VS 1915 - With transposed numerals in date.

The weight of the coin is about 11.15 grams.

Has anyone seen a similar example? Kindly share your views and opinions.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9676 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin. Does not appear to be in numista:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces50759.html
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14705 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting retrograde date variety.
I'll bet you London to a brick that the die cutter could read Arabic, but not English.

Easy enough to make this sort of error, if you are die cutting in mirror reverse.
Edited by sel_69l
01/08/2019 07:26 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1084 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a great find and a realy nice looking coin Director!

I've had a good look around and eventually found another error coin of this type...Not a transposed date but the lettering...I've tried but I'm a real luddite!, so If anyone can increase the size of the photo it would be much appreciated?..It shows the 'N' OF queen back to front...

Quote:
Easy enough to make this sort of error, if you are die cutting in mirror reverse.

@sel_69l or anyone else! ....I agree but can you elaborate?...I have a very limited knowledge of how the dies were sunk and would really like to know more.....It would be very interesting thanks!

@Director...I would say after searching for a few hours that you have a very rare coin there!
Congrats!..... Paul
Edited by Palouche
01/08/2019 6:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you folks! Any more info on this would be appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1084 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Director, just found a couple more errors...

Top one I think is showing a transposed date but not the same as yours..
Bottom one look at the 'Q'..

Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, thanks Paul! Is that a small 1 before the 8?

Looks like many haven't seen these or they don't collect these.

I'll try to get mine graded.

Cheers!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1084 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll try to get mine graded.

Good idea as I think you have a really nice rare specimen there..

Quote:
Is that a small 1 before the 8?

Yes your right..looks like a little splatted 1....so the ob/rev dates correspond..Sorry

Great find and good luck with the grading Paul.
Edited by Palouche
01/15/2019 10:00 am
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted Today  6H 21M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Good idea as I think you have a really nice rare specimen there..

Quote:
Great find and good luck with the grading Paul.

Thanks again, Paul. :)...Will keep you informed.
Edited by Director
Today 6H 19M ago
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14705 Posts
 Posted Today  4H 21M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Palouche:
the dies for these coins had to be cut by hand,
incuse, (cut into the die face), and in mirror reverse.
Village or small town Mints did not have modern die hubbing facilities.

You need a huge and modern steel industry for that.
Steel is a modern material, after 1848. That was when the Bessemer steel process was discovered. Before then, everybody used wrought iron as the strongest material.
1848 was when the Industrial Revolution really speeded up.

Modern coinage dies are made from steel.
With modern coins, the die is cut intaglio in plaster at many times of the size that the intended coin is to be, by the original coin artist.
A metal incuse is taken, the whole image then reduced and a master intaglio die is prepared, working incuse, dies are hubbed off those, and are used to strike coins.
A lot of mechanical work, but necessary when billions of coins are needed off the original design.

I would imagine that there are some good videos on die hubbing, a process carried out by every modern Mint.
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted Today  2H 4M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Director to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's some nice information! #128077;#127995;
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1084 Posts
 Posted Today  1H 35M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information sel.

I did watch a couple of clip videos from The Royal Mint website ..Very interesting!

Just one question, in your opinion when a letter or date error occurs (thats assuming they realise an error has occurred) will the die continue to be used or is it dicarded and a new one cut?....I ask the question because I've searched a lot for error coins of this series and have found a few but none have the same error!....But maybe the saying 'like looking for a needle in a haystack' comes to mind!?

Thanks again Paul

Edited by Palouche
Today 1H 29M ago
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05